Handle Bar Position? How to Question

LarryBud

I have a new to me 2015 FJ 09.  The original factory bars are in the post which are slanting reward or in the low position.  I'm 6'3 and have the seat in the high position.  It seems like I'm leaning into the bars to the point that I'm doing a slight push up as I ride.  After a while, my wrist begin to tire.

1) Thoughts if switching the bar post around may help?  They will be taller but farther away if I have it envisioned correctly.

2) I see how the bars are removed but what needs to be done to turn the post 90 degrees.  Is there a bolt head under the bars?

I couldn't find the detail in my shop manual.

Thanks,

LB  

There’s a 14mm locknut located under the upper triple tree that secures the handlebar riser to the tree. You can access it with a long extension (wobble preferred) with the bike on the center stand (from the front fender area)
I’d recommend you loosen the locknut first on each underside and then loosen the 4 6mm Allen head socket bolts that clamp the handlebars. With the bars in position it makes it a whole lot easier to  loosen the locknuts underneath (otherwise the riser spins and will mark your upper triple tree). 

Have a friend hold the bars up while you spin the riser around 180 degrees and then set the bars back in again. The dots on the clamps always face forward on Yamaha’s. Tighten those socket bolts first, then the rear bolts. Should take 5-10 minutes. 

btw there was a recall on those risers. You’ll know yours have been replaced if they are free of paint on the surface which contacts the upper triple tree.

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, skipperT said:

There’s a 14mm locknut located under the upper triple tree that secures the handlebar riser to the tree. You can access it with a long extension (wobble preferred) with the bike on the center stand (from the front fender area)
I’d recommend you loosen the locknut first on each underside and then loosen the 4 6mm Allen head socket bolts that clamp the handlebars. With the bars in position it makes it a whole lot easier to  loosen the locknuts underneath (otherwise the riser spins and will mark your upper triple tree). 

Have a friend hold the bars up while you spin the riser around 180 degrees and then set the bars back in again. The dots on the clamps always face forward on Yamaha’s. Tighten those socket bolts first, then the rear bolts. Should take 5-10 minutes. 

btw there was a recall on those risers. You’ll know yours have been replaced if they are free of paint on the surface which contacts the upper triple tree.

-Skip

Thank you Skip!!!  I have the FJ -09 Service Manual and I couldn't find anything on it other that they were reversible.  

Question: I need the risers off to see if the recall was done, correct?  I want no paint on the bottom of the riser?

3 hours ago, LarryBud said:

Thank you Skip!!!  I have the FJ -09 Service Manual and I couldn't find anything on it other that they were reversible.  

Question: I need the risers off to see if the recall was done, correct?  I want no paint on the bottom of the riser?

No worries! I think it may be only mentioned briefly in the Handlebar installation area (under Chassis stuff) but it’s not very clear. 

you would have to have them lifted far enough off the upper tree to see the bottom but yes no paint (or powder coat or whatever they used the first go round)... your assistant and a flashlight could help. Loosen the14 mm locknuts from the bottom all the way off, pull up on the bars (while still in the mounts) and have a look. 

Another method is to run a ratchet strap or the like from the ceiling to suspend the bars once they’re out of the mounts, so you can leave everything mounted on the bars. This works well if no buddy is available. Just be careful of your brake line and switch leads to not stretch everything too much. 

-Skip

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, LarryBud said:

If you dodn't want to disassemble the handlebars and risers, you could call your Yamaha service department and give them your VIN, they can look up any recalls that have been performed on the bike.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***