Gear Whine

The mates Mt09 that I am riding has a noisy 3rd but 6th is ridiculous, it's not the same whine that the motor exudes but a different pitch, haven't been on a freeway in sixth yet to see if it gets quieter above 110km/h.
I am hoping so otherwise the Tracer I'm seriously considering buying might have to have sixth gear removed! Hahaha

• Premium Member
The mates Mt09 that I am riding has a noisy 3rd but 6th is ridiculous, it's not the same whine that the motor exudes but a different pitch, haven't been on a freeway in sixth yet to see if it gets quieter above 110km/h. I am hoping so otherwise the Tracer I'm seriously considering buying might have to have sixth gear removed! Hahaha
The Tracer has the same whine. It does not bother me much as I don't use 6th at lower speeds.

• Premium Member
keep it in 4th gear and let the induction roar and revs drown out the gearbox.

I mostly use 6th gear for high speed cruising on foreign motorways (UK speeds plus 33% as you will only get fined not lose your licence) when the engine noise and wind roar through my helmet vents drown it out.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...
I just picked my FJ up yesterday. I definitely noticed the whine in 6th gear. The other 5 gears just sounded like typical Yamaha sounds. The whine seems to lesson (in 6th) the faster you go. I was hoping it would lesson after a few miles are on it. Glad to hear it got better after break-in oil change. Ear plugs are not an option for me, I want to hear what's going on around me. I definitely plan on a better windshield, mirror extenders, and probably a Corbin seat which looks great on the bike. Looking for feedback on the items mentioned.
This is my follow up on the post above.  First let me say that I'm not quite 6'1" and weigh 246.  I ride with my factory windscreen in its highest position and my seat in the lowest.  I would like to provide some feedback on the KoubaLink mirror extenders.  If you go to their website it will lead you to believe that the mirror extenders ARE NOT available for the FJ-09.  This is not true, they are and the proper part number to order is ME-2B ("B" designating black).  They do come in pairs in case you're wondering.  You can order them either directly from Norm Kouba or from Carl's Cycle.  The info needed to contact both is on the website.  If you get them directly from Norm Kouba you will not pay shipping, only the $30.00 for the extenders.  If you order them from Carl's Cycle, which I did, they will be $35.00 which includes first class shipping through the USPS.  I received mine within 3 days.  I can't say how long it would have taken to buy them direct from Norm.  Since there are already good pictures on the forum I won't post any. I will say they look factory installed.  Installation is as simple as replacing a mirror.  They have totally solved my mirror problem.  Before I was unable to see anything behind me.  I can now see what's behind me perfectly.  Some riders reported an increase in the noise level after installing the extenders.  With my stock shield I noticed no difference in the noise.  I highly recommend these if you're looking for such a product. The next item I plan on getting is the 22" clear Madstad wind screen.  Update to follow once I order it.  I'm hoping it will be my birthday gift from my wife.  Later!
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
I just picked my FJ up yesterday. I definitely noticed the whine in 6th gear. The other 5 gears just sounded like typical Yamaha sounds. The whine seems to lesson (in 6th) the faster you go. I was hoping it would lesson after a few miles are on it. Glad to hear it got better after break-in oil change. Ear plugs are not an option for me, I want to hear what's going on around me. I definitely plan on a better windshield, mirror extenders, and probably a Corbin seat which looks great on the bike. Looking for feedback on the items mentioned.
Here's what I posted earlier: 
peporter
Premium Member

peporter Avatar

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.....
Member is Online

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:05pm
Edit
Post Options
Post by peporter on Sep 9, 2015 at 5:05pm

This is the one I am going to try:Puig Touring screen with visor

~ johan, Sep 8, 2015 at 3:53pm
I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam, and for my money the Madstad is as good as it gets. Adjustability as the seasons change, no add-ons needed, and it looks great....subjective opinion of course on the looks. Completely objective opinion on the functionality, it just works the way you want it to. Will post pics soon.

~ peporter, Sep 8, 2015 at 4:18pm
O
OK, got some pics, and will try to post here.This is the Madstad system. Don't know what I have to do to make them larger, GOOD help would be appreciated. P1000859.JPG P1000848.JPGP1000856.JPG

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/122?page=28#ixzz3ozAq63hk

• Premium Member
Here's what I posted earlier: 
peporter
Premium Member

peporter Avatar

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.....
Member is Online

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:05pm
Edit
Post Options
Post by peporter on Sep 9, 2015 at 5:05pm

This is the one I am going to try:Puig Touring screen with visor

~ johan, Sep 8, 2015 at 3:53pm
I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam, and for my money the Madstad is as good as it gets. Adjustability as the seasons change, no add-ons needed, and it looks great....subjective opinion of course on the looks. Completely objective opinion on the functionality, it just works the way you want it to. Will post pics soon.

~ peporter, Sep 8, 2015 at 4:18pm
O
OK, got some pics, and will try to post here.This is the Madstad system. Don't know what I have to do to make them larger, GOOD help would be appreciated. P1000859.JPG P1000848.JPGP1000856.JPG

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/122?page=28#ixzz3ozAq63hk

Looks like the pics didn't make the trip, so click on the "Read More" above, and this post with pics is almost to the bottom of the page... Love the Madstad! Mirror wideners from KoubaLink are nice, and Twisted Throttle has the SW-Motech items which I have and work well. Got a Corbin saddle, love it and it looks great! 

• 2 years later...
Thread resurrection!! I just wanted to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who was concerned about this! Mine is super loud mostly in 3rd and 6th. I briefly rode an FZ09 a couple years ago and didn't remember any gear whine so I was concerned about this new GT. Of all the bike I've ever had or ridden I've never heard a gearbox so loud.
  • Thumbsup 1

• 10 months later...

Another resurrection.

I just picked up a super nice 2015 from g8r in Sarasota, FL and have ridden it around a little while we spend a few days at the beach.  Glad I brought plenty of ear plugs for the 700+ mile ride home on the interstate to east TN.  😉 

• Thumbsup 1