Gear Whine

On 4/14/2015 at 11:46 AM, hslockwood said:

How loud is your gear wine in 6th gear

Yes 6th gear up to around 112 kmh is quite loud, then it seems to settle. The rest of the gears aren't particularly quiet but 6th seems to be the worst. Luckily cruising at between around 115 - 120 kmh should be reasonably quiet. My previous bike an FJR used to really scream in 3rd to the point of being embarrassing, then it would start again  in 5th (only 5 gears) all the way to 112 kmh then settle. Put it down to Yamaha gearboxes...................

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

mine does the same in 6th.

going to put a bigger front sprocket to get the rev;s down  and hopefully the whine will be further up the revs range. I usually ride at 60mph.

wife on the back.most of the country roads that we ride on a narrow not to mention horses/push bikes etc around the next bend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Been listening more. Mine comes in at 50mph and goes away at 70 top gear only on the gas.

This is with earplugs, starting to annoy me, REALLY hoping this goes away with more miles. 

Oil changed to Castrol Actevo 10-40. Yamalube 20-50 drained. All noises the same, but released more HP and torque! 

You guys running 20-50 only are missing out!

1700 miles so far...

Edited by peteinpa

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/23/2020 at 4:31 PM, peteinpa said:

Been listening more. Mine comes in at 50mph and goes away at 70 top gear only on the gas.

This is with earplugs, starting to annoy me, REALLY hoping this goes away with more miles. 

Oil changed to Castrol Actevo 10-40. Yamalube 20-50 drained. All noises the same, but released more HP and torque! 

You guys running 20-50 only are missing out!

1700 miles so far...

Really? You can tell the difference in acceleration between 10 weight of oil?  I'm skeptical.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My 2020 whines in 6th gear and it is quite loud around 50-60 mph but goes away at 70 or above. I hear it change tunes over bumps as well. Sounds kind of raggidty (sp?) to me but my Tenere 700 does it as well and it has the CP2 engine.

3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Not wishing bad on anybody, but I'm glad even newer ones are doing it. Really is a thorn in an otherwise great bike.

You didn't really think Yamaha would change anything did you 🤣

I chalked it up to just a noisy transmission after the GT was doing the same thing as my T7. Both brand new.😞

51 minutes ago, quaxum said:

my bike is now at 33000kms. seems like the whine is gone. or maybe i just got so used to it.

Did the wife/ gf get off...?

• Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.