It Really Works!!

betoney

• Supporting Member

Last year I had asked about gloves for smart screens (so I can use the adaptive screen on my GPS without having to stop and remove my gloves) and someone mentioned using silver conductive thread on the fingertip to make them touch screen compatible.  My older GPS units used resistive screens and worked perfectly with gloves, the newest one uses a capacitive smart screen.

I bought some silver conductive thread on eBay (16' for about $5) and sewed a small patch into the index finger of each glove and IT WORKS, I was able to use my GPS, navigating through the menus and scrolling from page to page without issue, I also tested it on my iPhone and was able to access everything successfully as well though I don't use my phone while riding. 👍

image.thumb.png.a2d9a4d06d87fa957e080f51ca628ed2.png

image.thumb.png.4a258e69944c280881807abd8f708b2b.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

First off those are kind of hilarious pictures but I'll stick with a congratulations on a clever fix. I confess to being low tech in my navigation, relying on memory and an occasional glance at a Google map if I have reception. I haven't done a huge amount of complex rural road wandering, where a non-phone solution would shine. Even my long trips are up and down on slab or easily chosen back roads in British Columbia or Alberta. I have such a strong mental map of the West that I feel I can't go too far wrong or long in a wrong direction! And again, to quote Milo in my favorite book of it's type "The Phantom Tollbooth": Being lost is never a matter of not knowing where you are, it's a matter of not knowing where you aren't, and I don't care at all about where I'm not! 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Nice touch, but did you just give me the finger?

• Haha 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, wanderer said:

My fear would be scratching the screen.

The screen is glass and the thread is fiber.  It will take outright deliberate abuse to scratch the glass.  My cell phone has fallen out of my tank bag and tumbled down the road on the pavement and the case is scuffed but the screen is pristine.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...