Mistakes Were Made: Part 1

Following!

If this gets much more entertaining you should consider starting a youtube channel. Get some ad revenues for new cases and really go nuts on them. 😈 I'm thinking controlled detonations, water pressure, ...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

MISTAKES WERE MADE: PART IV 

Working title: “Holes make things more aerodynamic…right?”

- or - 

“Exploratory Surgery = GREAT for humans…not so much for panniers.”

To my great disbelief, Goo-gone didn’t do its job to remove any mysterious adhesive holding the inner plastic to its outer sheath. Based on my many years of positive Goo-gone experiences, I developed a supreme confidence in the scrappy little product’s ability to break down any adhesives known to man. It must have been something else. Something…mechanical. 

So, since the Goo-gone didn’t work, it was time to go in!!! One pilot hole…two…then three… Who knew drilling into a $400.00 pannier would be just like eating Ruffle’s potato chips? You can’t just have one.  Do you know how many you CAN have? Twenty-five. That's how many. Twenty five... 

Somehow, no matter how skillfully I placed the drill holes, or how awkwardly I angled my flashlight, I could find NO clicky-bits!  YEARGH!!!

But no worries friends. I have infinite confidence in my life-long ability to screw things up and make them right again! (...mostly)

It was time. Time for the Chuck Norris of garage tools. The Magnum Magnificum, if you will. The SINGLE most versatile tool anyone could ever hope for.  

Out…

comes…

THE DREMEL!!!

Picture1a.jpg

Picture2.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

MISTAKES WERE MADE: PART V

Title: "To err is human…to Dremel is DIVINE."

Goo-gone failed. Random drilling failed. Worldview…shaken.

Is it possible Yamaha has some type of adhesive heretofore unknown? Could it be that the one place I didn’t look (directly between the inner plastic and the outer sheath), was bonded together by said mystery bonding agent? 

Retrieving the Dremel from its sacred shelf, I knew it was time.

Let...

the...

Dremeling...

BEGIN!!! 

One piece broke away...then another. A corner was turning. A dawn was…um, dawning. Dawning? Breaking? Whatever, something was changing…and I liked it. Sort of like the first time you used the girl’s bathroom at a dumpy gas station while your Dad blocked the entrance. Not that I've ever done...that...  

Anyway, as pieces broke away, it became apparent I had been wrong. There WAS an adhesive! I’m not sure where Yamaha found this stuff, but I’m guessing is was somewhere around the 9th level of Dante’s Inferno. 

Carving down, there was only 1 square inch remaining. Somehow, this small patch STILL held the pannier together. It was a formidable foe, but eventually, even this goo from hell found itself to be no match for DREMEL POWER!!!  (Note: I am not getting paid to advertise Dremel. Using that sweet spinning wonder is payment in and of itself.)

There is no rock is that uncrackable. No lock unpickable. No song unsingable. And thus, despite its best effort, the Yamaha model 2PP-F84H0-T0-00 right side pannier unveiled her delicate secrets to the world.

So go ahead friends. Sit back and enjoy some pictures the internet REFUSED to show you before…UNTIL NOW!!!

a1.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

This feels like pictures of a murder scene.

Note to self: Never attempt to disassemble panniers under any circumstances.

Note to self - addendum; drills, Dremel tools and sawzalls and NOT intended for motorcycle 'repair'.  When in doubt of procedure or your abilities - STOP, put the 'tools of destruction' away and seek guidance.  🙄

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

And now that you all are beginning to understand what @JDChico89 is capable of, why I was a bit concerned when we took our first ride together and suddenly we got to this place... 

GOPR6391.JPG

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, maximo said:

And now that you all are beginning to understand what @JDChico89 is capable of, why I was a bit concerned when we took our first ride together and suddenly we got to this place... 

GOPR6391.JPG

Wow, stunning scenery... BUT, one of those roads with a MAJOR pucker factor.

What road is this?  not one of those that you have recommended for my upcoming road trips is it? 😲

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Note to self - addendum; drills, Dremel tools and sawzalls and NOT intended for motorcycle 'repair'.  When in doubt of procedure or your abilities - STOP, put the 'tools of destruction' away and seek guidance.  🙄

@betoney

Edited by JDChico89
  • Haha 2