• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Short pillion problems

For those of you with short pillions: what is your solution?

My wife is 5’1” (155cm) and can only put her feet on the pegs if she is sitting way in front of the passenger seat. We have a Shad top case with a back rest and if she’s scooted all the way back up to it her feet are just dangling. Only solution I can think of is custom made foot peg brackets to relocate them.

Today was our first 2 up ride on my 1 month old 2019 base model. We did 160 miles through the mountains almost all twisty roads and it performed very nicely, just passed 1,000 miles on the odometer today. The suspension is of course way too soft even with us only weighing 160 and 110 plus riding gear. We’ll be upgrading that and the seats but weren’t expecting this foot peg issue.

8 hours ago, i_ride45 said:

Platform boots? 😂

783D31F7-E430-40E2-B896-6AD23BAECE60.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 4

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

The original owner to my touring bike had a similar sized pillion and rather than fiddling with the footpegs, he went the other way and carved a piece of hard foam into a large backrest/armrest. He covered it in faux leather to match the saddle and secured it on the bike. I thought it was an ingenious solution. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

14 hours ago, maximo said:

The original owner to my touring bike had a similar sized pillion and rather than fiddling with the footpegs, he went the other way and carved a piece of hard foam into a large backrest/armrest. He covered it in faux leather to match the saddle and secured it on the bike. I thought it was an ingenious solution. 

That’s a good idea. Do you have any pictures of that? 

8 hours ago, i_ride45 said:

That’s a good idea. Do you have any pictures of that? 

I don't have a picture, but I have the actual unit in my attic somewhere. I'll try to find it and snap a picture. It's quite clever, actually.

• Thanks 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

On 5/1/2021 at 7:40 PM, i_ride45 said:

My wife is 5’1” (155cm) and can only put her feet on the pegs if she is sitting way in front of the passenger seat. We have a Shad top case with a back rest and if she’s scooted all the way back up to it her feet are just dangling. Only solution I can think of is custom made foot peg brackets to relocate them.

Today was our first 2 up ride on my 1 month old 2019 base model. We did 160 miles through the mountains almost all twisty roads and it performed very nicely, just passed 1,000 miles on the odometer today. The suspension is of course way too soft even with us only weighing 160 and 110 plus riding gear. We’ll be upgrading that and the seats but weren’t expecting this foot peg issue.

My wife is 5'2" and I also have a 2019 base model. We don't have that issue. Huh.

4 hours ago, CJ3cyl said:

My wife is 5'2" and I also have a 2019 base model. We don't have that issue. Huh.

I think it also has to do with the panniers I have on. If she tries to scoot back to the backrest, the backs of her calves hit the front of the panniers. I took off the panniers and should had no problem reaching the pegs this way.

• Thumbsup 2