Nice ride through the Ozarks

Kemp

Duckie, they do a pretty decent job of it. I think other states do try it, but I feel like Arkansas' approach is a prime example of how it should be done. I'm impressed that they not only publish routes but have gpx files that are free to use.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@Kemp - Thanks for the write up!  Northwest Arkansas used to be an annual pilgrimage for me, but unfortunately I haven’t been up that way in several years.   This inspires me to get back up there this season...  it’s great riding, spectacular scenery, and friendly people.  

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

@Kemp - Thanks for the write up!  Northwest Arkansas used to be an annual pilgrimage for me, but unfortunately I haven’t been up that way in several years.   This inspires me to get back up there this season...  it’s great riding, spectacular scenery, and friendly people.  

You should! I rarely travel out of state because of the time involved, and honestly I can be on some fun roads in just a few minutes, so why go anywhere else?

Having said that, now that I have the Tracer, I'm ready to see what other states have to offer.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Sounds like a nice day ride, Kemp. Arkansas/Ozarks is about the only part of the US that I still haven't ridden. I once lived in Quincy, IL and made a weekend trip down to southern MO and the great alphabet soup of roads there, but didn't get over the state line into AR. I figured I'd get there on the next trip but unfortunately my time in Quincy was shorter than expected and I never made it back down that way. Now I live on the left coast and would have to travel far to get there. Some day...

2 minutes ago, Kevin R said:

Sounds like a nice day ride, Kemp. Arkansas/Ozarks is about the only part of the US that I still haven't ridden. I once lived in Quincy, IL and made a weekend trip down to southern MO and the great alphabet soup of roads there, but didn't get over the state line into AR. I figured I'd get there on the next trip but unfortunately my time in Quincy was shorter than expected and I never made it back down that way. Now I live on the left coast and would have to travel far to get there. Some day...

I would like to ride on the left coast sometime. Although, I have driven in LA, and have no desire to get caught up in that hot mess! The Pacific Coast Highway is a bucket list ride for me, and I know there's plenty more roads near there that would be a blast.

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_2844.thumb.JPG.f38d43e37929b336e1916cb91866211b.JPGIMG_2842.thumb.JPG.0a6327b523b119ffc8107411c89e4678.JPGKemp also there is Hwy 341, Push Mountain which is worth a ride up and down right outside Norfork, AR by Mountain Home. Well worth your while to ride it. We, The VMax owners assoc have a meet in Mountain Home in early October. Really there are so many roads in that area. Hwy 125 going north out of Buck Creek Marina. There is a ferry there from AR to MO. 125 going north of of the Marina is excellent. Great surface on the road too. 3 to 5 years old. Pic of the Gas stop in Jasper, AR. Riding 74 and 123 the Mini Dragon in that area. Also 103, so many roads so little time. Retirement is around the corner and the roads are mine for the choosing. Me on the far right. 

This is a Gen1 Bored out to a 1327 CC with VGas carbs. Light weight wheels which also convert it to radial tires from the original bias ply. Frame braces. Plus an R1, Gen 2 VMax an FZ1 in the pic. We ride all kinds of bikes. But we are the Vmax Owners Assoc, South Central Divison. 

IMG_2849.thumb.JPG.2f5937e01911c6cdb1abf2dc7dec91f2.JPG

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

Thanks for the write-up!  I will be down that way end of September on my FJR and meeting my Texas riding bud, also on an FJR!!

Love riding the area, the scenery, the people and the roads are awesome.....

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, fjrchuck said:

Thanks for the write-up!  I will be down that way end of September on my FJR and meeting my Texas riding bud, also on an FJR!!

Get you a Butler Map of the area. I have them for the whole country to plan trips with.  ;D

• Thumbsup 2

On 5/28/2021 at 7:54 PM, tktplz said:

IMG_2844.thumb.JPG.f38d43e37929b336e1916cb91866211b.JPGIMG_2842.thumb.JPG.0a6327b523b119ffc8107411c89e4678.JPGKemp also there is Hwy 341, Push Mountain which is worth a ride up and down right outside Norfork, AR by Mountain Home. Well worth your while to ride it. We, The VMax owners assoc have a meet in Mountain Home in early October. Really there are so many roads in that area. Hwy 125 going north out of Buck Creek Marina. There is a ferry there from AR to MO. 125 going north of of the Marina is excellent. Great surface on the road too. 3 to 5 years old. Pic of the Gas stop in Jasper, AR. Riding 74 and 123 the Mini Dragon in that area. Also 103, so many roads so little time. Retirement is around the corner and the roads are mine for the choosing. Me on the far right. 

This is a Gen1 Bored out to a 1327 CC with VGas carbs. Light weight wheels which also convert it to radial tires from the original bias ply. Frame braces. Plus an R1, Gen 2 VMax an FZ1 in the pic. We ride all kinds of bikes. But we are the Vmax Owners Assoc, South Central Divison. 

IMG_2849.thumb.JPG.2f5937e01911c6cdb1abf2dc7dec91f2.JPG

Yup. I've run Push Mountain several times, and it can be looped into the ride I did very easily. I just hadn't been on Hwy 9 in many years and wanted to get re-acquainted with that section of road. If you like Push, then you'll love the upper section of Highway 123; in my opinion, it's more demanding than Push Mountain by a wide margin!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kemp said:

If you like Push, then you'll love the upper section of Highway 123; in my opinion, it's more demanding than Push Mountain by a wide margin!

We call that the mini dragon. I do it both ways but when we have the group we do the tight 1st gear turns going uphill. We lost a few bikes long ago doing it the other way. Big ole heavy Gen1 VMaxes, bias tires and weak brakes was a sure thing on people over cooking it. Going uphill is an advantage for those bikes. That's why I love my FJ09. Light weight and almost stoppies downhill with no problems. I'm in Louisiana just south of Minden so it's 2 to 2/12 hours and I'm in the twisties for 3 day weekends. The Ozarks and the Smokies are the best roads I've found so far. There are other areas in the country but they aren't as plentiful as they are in these 2 places. IMG_8878.thumb.JPG.c21f25aefd740fdac4b3d06dfbfaba03.JPG

• Thumbsup 3

On 5/29/2021 at 8:57 AM, fjrchuck said:

There are plenty of roads to choose from, too. Honestly, just about anything west of Highway 65 and north of Interstate 40 is worth your attention.

• Thumbsup 1

@tktplz I've heard others refer to that by the same name! I need to ride it again soon. Hit it a couple of times last year, and it was my first long-ish ride on my new Tracer. No shortage of great roads in Arkansas, that's for sure!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1