Nice ride through the Ozarks

Kemp

• Premium Member
On 5/30/2021 at 9:11 AM, Kemp said:

Yup. I've run Push Mountain several times, and it can be looped into the ride I did very easily. I just hadn't been on Hwy 9 in many years and wanted to get re-acquainted with that section of road. If you like Push, then you'll love the upper section of Highway 123; in my opinion, it's more demanding than Push Mountain by a wide margin!

I've ridden  Push Mountains twice, in different years.   I've never gotten the thrill out of it that others have.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, fjray said:

I've ridden  Push Mountains twice, in different years.   I've never gotten the thrill out of it that others have.  

Took me a couple of years to figure out why I like it - trees are cut pretty far off the road for good sight lines. Pavement is in good condition. Low traffic because there are better ways to commute. But I finally realized that almost all the curves are the same. Mostly constant radius, 35 mph yellow signs. You can run the road at "highway speeds" and just ease through the road. I can settle into a rhythm for about 15 minutes on Push unlike few other roads I've ridden. It's not a thrilling road like 123. More Zen. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Small update on the Ozarks. We rode across at the beginning of August. 

1. I was surprised at how little traffic. We had clean runs of most roads including Pig Trail where I'm used to getting stuck behind a train. 

2. I think the last time I went across northern AR west of Jasper was maybe 2017? They have done a LOT of paving. AR DOT really cleaned up 16. So much nicer riding.

3. I had to plan gas stops a little better, though, because some of the little stops went from all octanes 10 years ago to 87 only 5 years ago to closed in 2021. :(

• Thumbsup 2

I haven't been on 16 in a while, but a lot of the roads I like to ride have been getting some attention this year. Too many of them have had chip seal added, which I'm not a fan of, but once it's bedded it seems to be okay.

4 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Small update on the Ozarks. We rode across at the beginning of August. 

1. I was surprised at how little traffic. We had clean runs of most roads including Pig Trail where I'm used to getting stuck behind a train. 

2. I think the last time I went across northern AR west of Jasper was maybe 2017? They have done a LOT of paving. AR DOT really cleaned up 16. So much nicer riding.

3. I had to plan gas stops a little better, though, because some of the little stops went from all octanes 10 years ago to 87 only 5 years ago to closed in 2021. :(

We will be back up, this time in the Mountain Home area the weekend of October 7th - 10th. This will be our last meet of 2021. But we live further south than Arkansas so we ride all winter long. There are some, almost a week long at times, maybe twice a winter where you can't ride but our down time is now. Mid to late July till midway through September. It's just too hot. Feels like temps of 105 to 112 everyday during this time. 

And truth be told, I've never run anything but 87 octane in the ole FJ-09. I ran 87 octane in the Gen 1 VMax. They actually did dyno runs with the same bike, back to back 87 and 93 octane. The Gen 1 VMax has a bolt in the bottom of it's tank. Just that easy to change fuels. The carb bowls are easy to drain too. The 87 Octane pulled better HP than the Premium. Remember 93 and 87 have the same BTUs only 93 is for high compression motors so the gas doesn't detonate. 93 is harder to ignite. Yes there are myths about gas going on out there. Have been for at least 100 years. Headed to NC soon also. We stay at the Deals Gap Resort. Only 79 a night, not bad. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

5 hours ago, Kemp said:

I haven't been on 16 in a while, but a lot of the roads I like to ride have been getting some attention this year. Too many of them have had chip seal added, which I'm not a fan of, but once it's bedded it seems to be okay.

Yes, with 16 you have 27, you have 7, you have 123. Dang, now yer getting me worked up!!!!!!  >:D

• Thumbsup 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!