GT experts - Rate my chain tension please (with video)

3 hours ago, skipperT said:

Couple thoughts (the video was great btw):

-As long as that tape was millimeters, you’re good. -However because the links are kinked (as others have mentioned) once you lube the chain and those free up a bit, you’ll need to re-adjust it 1-2 clicks tighter.

-IMHO don’t approach that 45-50 mm range on the GT, it’s too loose. As mentioned, the linkage is different and the chain tension doesn’t vary as much in earlier models. 
-another thing to be aware of is that the stock front sprocket is rubber-damped, and if you press down on the chain with force you gain a tiny bit of slack as the chain is forced further into the rubber-damped portion of the sprocket. Not really enough to take into consideration but just as an aside. 

-one of the best ways to know you’re in the ballpark is to sit on the bike, and carefully reach down to the bottom run of the chain while you’re at a stand-still and check the tension. 5mm or so is good at that point (by feel) but 10-15 is pushing it. Setting the slack to that 45-50mm range on the GT will give you that excessive 10-15mm while on the bike that I’m referring to. 

-re lube flinging off: lube the chain when it’s warm (not cold) and lube the INSIDE of the link/O-ring area. That saturates the O-rings better esp if chain is free of debris. 

-Skip

That tape is in millimeters, yes. I'd be hard pressed to find a tape measure in inches around here. 🙂 I actually did spend quite some time first freeing up the links and then cleaning and lubing the chain and the video shows the result. No good, so a new chain is incoming.

I will try to check the tension while sitting on the bike as you suggest but I have to say that I rode it to work today and was again amazed at the difference just from said cleaning and loosening the tension. Really night and day, maybe the oil got in deeper during the night but I'm completely happy like this until I get the new chain later this week.

I do lube when the chain is warm (except after a long cleaning like this) and I don't have a fling off problem. I just mentioned that the chain was already lubed well in the video and adding more would cause fling-off. The lube is just very transparent.

Edited by petshark
  • Like 1

IMHO a new chain and sprockets is a very cheap fix to a MAJOR system of this motorcycle.  As Nike says, "Just do it!!"

I spent a few extra $ on the Gold DIS chain and it makes me smile when I see it :) 

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

41 minutes ago, nhchris said:

IMHO a new chain and sprockets is a very cheap fix to a MAJOR system of this motorcycle.  As Nike says, "Just do it!!"

I spent a few extra $ on the Gold DIS chain and it makes me smile when I see it :) 

Went with gold as well, and I'm already smiling thinking about it. 😎

• Thumbsup 1

Just for giggles and bonus points.. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

I actually wrote for help with this issue after coming home from a job. The bike was in the open but under a roof. It's an open parking between concrete pillars underneath a big new building. So the wind could get at it all day.

After these jobs my rides home felt like something was seriously wrong with the engine, especially the first 15 minutes. Very jerky... So I now suspect that the wind could somehow make the links go tighter than ever, where it was a complete mystery before. When leaving home the next day out of my garage it was always better. So what do you think, did it dry out or harden the lube or what could be going on there?

BTW after loosening the chain yesterday I rode home today from that same location and no issues anymore. Actually it was a really great ride! I still can't believe the difference.

Edited by petshark
  • Thumbsup 1

Cant say about the centering.  If I'm following you correctly about the slope it is visible in the last photo, that looks like wear to my, I would not call it bad though.  

With all the problems you have had have to think the PO did something not good with the bike like pressure washing or degreasing.  Or you got the one bike where everything went wrong!  I used to do reliability work, not really heavy statistics but know enough I can say the more problems the less probability of them occurring to the same bike.

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Cant say about the centering.  If I'm following you correctly about the slope it is visible in the last photo, that looks like wear to my, I would not call it bad though.  

With all the problems you have had have to think the PO did something not good with the bike like pressure washing or degreasing.  Or you got the one bike where everything went wrong!  I used to do reliability work, not really heavy statistics but know enough I can say the more problems the less probability of them occurring to the same bike.

I mean this slope:

image.thumb.png.39b9c44cd7df3e42b94712c8b98073b9.png

I'm wondering if the chain is supposed to be on one side of the sprocket or it should be centered. Or, is this slope there by design to push the chain to the side or is it wear from the chain always being on one side?

I'll try to take a better picture because I'm not even sure if this is not some kind of optical illusion. 😅

Edited by petshark

We are all different, but I run mine as loose as possible, and clean and lube it every 600 miles. After my first chain adjustment at Factory settings, WOW , I took the bike off the stand and sat on it, my mate checked the chain and it was VERY VERY tight. I am 12 stone 10 pounds.!!!!!

With a pillion on I think it would have totally wore out the output shaft bearing. Once adjust to tight the damage is done, I like it a little loose.

Cheers Edgar Jessop.

• Thumbsup 1