RECALL AND PARTS

Just wondering if everyone else is having to wait on your dealer to get parts for the recall?

Purchased my GT in January. The right side bag had been damaged in the transport or unpacking, they said no problem they would get a replacement. Not a problem for me either...it's January and I live in Ohio, couple of weeks for the part... no problem.

I get the recall notice, call the dealer, they say they are waiting on the part, they'll call when the part comes in.

Now it's May, still no bag, no recall part.

Is everyone else having this same kind of problem with parts from their dealer?

• Supporting Member

My OEM heated grips installed by the dealer caused my engine to go to 12000 RPM whenever they were on and I changed to second gear.  Dealer said this is a problem Yamaha has seen before. Replacement part on backorder for 60 days.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I ordered the part for the brake switch recall over one month ago.  It has still not arrived at the dealer.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

All the pandemic crap shut down so many businesses that produce items such as bike parts the inventory both at dealers and other retailers. The supply chain is near empty. Look on-line at how many items are out of stock. Same goes for bike parts whether they are ordinary consumables or recall items. Ain't gonna change for quite some time as it's a world wide issue. We can grouse about it but the dealers can't do anything about it.

Had mine done fairly early.  Took the dealer a couple of weeks to get parts.  Wonder if weather getting better and folks trying to get on the road has made for a rush for parts which coupled with COVID related issues has made a mess of things.  I ordered a camera lens Thursday - it came out late 2020 but Canon still having problems meeting demand.  Looks like it will be a couple of weeks wait on it.  

Traffic here in Alabama is pretty much back to normal!  Business are operating normally but sure some are struggling with lower demand.  LOL had a huge amount of rain last week plus some wind. Had a tree go down in my side yard.  Missed both houses just barely.  Base on my side of line top on neighbors side mostly!  House across street has a tree on the roof with only one hole.  Took over a day to get tree service to come look and they said it would be a few weeks before they can get to it!  Neighbors house is under contract - WOW did they ever pick a good time to sell  - it sold the 2nd day on the market.  I've been over there cutting up the tree!  

• Supporting Member

I was recently at my local dealership and we were talking about the bike shortage and they said they are seeing it industry wide on various items, not just bikes.  One week it might be tires, the next week they can't get oil filters and spark plugs. 

When I found parts available, I ordered enough tires and oil/filters to get me through the season, although I had to shop around since my usual online vendor was out of stock and had the tires on back order.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The closest dealer to me actually refused to do mine. He said that he doesn't make any money on recalls. Said he could probably "sneak it in" if I bought the bike in for a set of tires. WTF. 

If anyone else thinks it's less trouble to do it yourself the Yamaha part# is

BJ1- 83980-00-00

Gapscratch over on advrider says it's an easy  1/2 hour job. Remove top panel and 2 side panels, cut and replace a zip tie. Yamaha says .6 hour.

Switch is about $75 and readily available online. 

Edited by cwjb
More info

7 hours ago, sabre85 said:

Just wondering if everyone else is having to wait on your dealer to get parts for the recall?

Purchased my GT in January. The right side bag had been damaged in the transport or unpacking, they said no problem they would get a replacement. Not a problem for me either...it's January and I live in Ohio, couple of weeks for the part... no problem.

I get the recall notice, call the dealer, they say they are waiting on the part, they'll call when the part comes in.

Now it's May, still no bag, no recall part.

Is everyone else having this same kind of problem with parts from their dealer?

Called the dealer in Petaluma Ca. in Jan, still no parts. If Yamaha is sending out recalls they sure as hell should have the parts ready.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

My OEM heated grips installed by the dealer caused my engine to go to 12000 RPM whenever they were on and I changed to second gear.  Dealer said this is a problem Yamaha has seen before.

Well that’s kinda terrifying…   Dare I ask how you found out about this?  

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I'm going to guess that he shifted into 2nd gear with the grips on and the bike went to redline! (I'll show myself out).

I had to wait about a month for bags and then another month for locks and then another month for heated grips when I bought my bike back in 2015.  I can only imagine how much worse Yamaha is now about getting parts to consumers.  There was an article I think on Jalopnik that said Ducati and Yamaha had inventory on the Ever Given.  Even if that wasn't intended for the US, Yamaha has to replenish it.

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

I'm going to guess that he shifted into 2nd gear with the grips on and the bike went to redline! (I'll show myself out).

That was my assumption, too.  I imagined that happening to me on a cold morning, at the end of my driveway, and was thinking that the next few seconds would be very unpleasant… 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 1moreroad said:

There was an article I think on Jalopnik that said Ducati and Yamaha had inventory on the Ever Given.  Even if that wasn't intended for the US, Yamaha has to replenish it.

Ever_Given_container_ship.jpeg

Delayed shipments, supply chain woes, and other setbacks challenge...

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

It wasn't really that big of a deal as I could control it by rolling off throttle and clutch in. First time it went to 12,000 rpm before I caught it. The next few times maybe 10,000 before I switched off the heated grips. I wrote about it in another thread thinking I had screwed up my McCruise install, but turns out Yamaha has seen this before on bikes without Cruise.

• Thanks 1

Had the switch recall done Monday.  I had made an appointment months ago, and they ordered the part and had one for me.  I think it took 15 minutes.  They tried to sell me an extended warranty that was like $1600 for four years.  No thanks.

Edited by Yamajank

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Had the switch recall done Monday.  I had made an appointment months ago, and they ordered the part and had one for me.  I think it took 15 minutes.  They tried to sell me an extended warranty that was like $1600 for four years.  No thanks.

The 4 year Y.E.S. warranty is usually somewhere around $500, though some have found it for a bit less.  You can buy it from any Yamaha dealer and some offer it at a decent price.

• Thanks 1