Washington and Oregon routes and camping suggestions please

Dm23

Planning a 9 day trip from Sonoma County to WA and back. I know there is awesome riding around the columbia gorge but looking for specific roads to hit (scenery appreciated but fun roads biggest priority) and also camping suggestions. First 2 days are planned, looking for suggestions from Crater Lake north. 

Thanks in advance!

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Dm23 said:

Planning a 9 day trip from Sonoma County to WA and back. I know there is awesome riding around the columbia gorge but looking for specific roads to hit (scenery appreciated but fun roads biggest priority) and also camping suggestions. First 2 days are planned, looking for suggestions from Crater Lake north. 

Thanks in advance!

What part of Washington or Oregon are you planning to visit?  I have many suggestions based on what region you will be in.  If you don't have a specific destination yet then I can just suggest lots of good roads for you to choose from in various areas.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

16 minutes ago, betoney said:

What part of Washington or Oregon are you planning to visit?  I have many suggestions based on what region you will be in.  If you don't have a specific destination yet then I can just suggest lots of good roads for you to choose from in various areas.

Listen to what @betoney tells you! There are quite a few of us 900 folks here in lovely WA, but he seems to know the back roads really well. It's hard to go very wrong. If you just meandered around the passes and roads of the Cascades or up near the San Juan Islands, it is an amazing state to wander. Have fun! 

• Thumbsup 1

21 minutes ago, betoney said:

Thanks!

We have a campsite at crater lake booked. My buddy grew up in Lake Steven/bothell so I guess that’s the final destination (unless we decide to really push it and make it past the border). I’d definitely like to see the columbia gorge since I’ve heard so much about it and mostly specifically in regards to riding. But other than that we are pretty open. Just looking to ride, see some sights and camp. 

• Supporting Member

@Dm23 - I will just give some 'must ride' suggestions that mix fun riding and awesome scenery, you can pick and chose sections and configure them into a route to meet your schedule.

North Cascades and Grand Coulee

Columbia River Gorge

Mt Hood/ Maupin/ Antelope/ Fossill/ Heppner/ Pendleton

Morton/ White Pass/ Canyon Road

Mt St Helens

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Here's a good route to take from Crater Lake to the Gorge:

Crater-to-Dalles.thumb.jpg.ee991b3579ff5b7b9774babb1a827f5e.jpg

Basically you leave the north entrance of the park, take the Cascade Lakes Highway around Mt. Bachelor and into Bend, Powell Butte Hwy towards Prineville, then up through Fossil, Antelope, Shaniko, Bakeoven Rd. to Maupin, and US-197 into The Dalles. It's 359 miles of insanely good riding and diverse scenery. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Awesome. Thank you keithu! I will definitely use that route, saves me a couple hours on maps and crossing my fingers i picked good roads. much appreciated. 

X2 on what keithu said about riding east of Prineville.  Take 26 east towards John Day, left on 395 at Mt. Vernon, north to Long Creek, then west on 402 to Hamilton, Monument and Kimberly.  Take 19/207 to Spray and Service Creek, then north to Fossil.  Then 218 to Clarno, Antelope and Shaniko.  Grandma's Ice Cream shop next to the Shaniko Hotel is worth the stop if it's still open.  She was the one who lined me up on taking 218 to Antelope and Fossil.  The Oregon Hiway crew had just finished paving the road over to Fossil.  New tarmac, no traffic -- it was heaven.  This was many years ago.  The last time I went through that area it was on fire.  The road was fine, just couldn't see anything because of the smoke.  

Have fun!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Dm23, if you haven't seen the write up I posted from my trip up thatta way last October, check it out.

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/9216-the-oregon-motorcycle-trail/?tab=comments#comment-116111

I took the great suggestions from @betoney and others and pieced together a heavenly itinerary for my trip from SJ. In addition to the great suggestions already here, I can highly recommend some of the riding in the eastern part of the state if you should have the time/opportunity to get there. I think my two favorite stretches of twisty asphalt were out that way.

Have a blast!

• Thanks 1

awesome thanks!!

I will have to look and see how i can incorporate some of that into what i have planned. this is what i have planned so far. wanted to keep miles between 300 and 400 per day. day 2 is short but ive been told crater lake is a must and we have a buddy parting ways from there. 

open to any suggestions or road swaps anyone has. also camping suggestions. we only have night 1 and 2 booked now. 

thanks in advance! 

day 1 - santa rosa to del norte state park

day 2 - del norte to crater lake

day 3 - crater lake to dallesport area

day 4 - betoneys columia gorge and mt hood loop

day 5 dallesport to leavenworth

day 6 leavenworth to granite falls using most of betoneys cascade loop

day 7 granite falls to short sand beach

day 8 Short sands to grants pass

day 9 is just getting back home.... 😥

Edited by Dm23
  • Thumbsup 1

33 minutes ago, Dm23 said:

awesome thanks!!

I will have to look and see how i can incorporate some of that into what i have planned. this is what i have planned so far. wanted to keep miles between 300 and 400 per day. day 2 is short but ive been told crater lake is a must and we have a buddy parting ways from there. 

open to any suggestions or road swaps anyone has. also camping suggestions. we only have night 1 and 2 booked now. 

thanks in advance!

Looks terrific!

On day 1, perhaps you've already done it since you live in the area, or maybe you're looking to make time, but taking the diversion on Ave of the Giants along the way is a great way to break up the long 101 freeway drone. The northern half is better than the southern.

Re: short day 2 - Definitely make time to do a couple short hikes at Crater Lake - it is spectacular.

On day 4 when you get to Mt Hood, if you can divert closer to Portland on rt 26 (you don't have to go all the way downtown; can cut over on surface roads) and then hop on the Historic Columbia River Hwy near Troutdale you wouldn't be sorry (it parallels I-84 and passes some terrific waterfalls and the Vista House). Whether you do this or not could come down to the day of the week. I don't know but suspect that midweek should be fine for this - it was in early October when I was there - while weekends may be a zoo (locals on this forum will know better).

On day 8, you could break up the freeway drone by taking the Cow Creek loop, starting near Riddle and ending near Glendale. It's a pretty good road and adds about 35mi to your total.

Enjoy!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

So jealous of you guys living in that part of the world!   The whole area looks awesome, not just for riding but for sight seeing as well.  Fantastic.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, Dm23 said:

open to any suggestions or road swaps anyone has.

On the last few days there is a lot of interstate travel, the section in Washington between Everett and Olympia can be terrible at times and in Oregon you will be missing out on some very nice coastal highways, Hwy 101 goes through a lot of small coastal towns and can be slower travel but at least its very scenic.  Otherwise it looks like a great route.

When leaving Hood River, take a very slight detour to Mosier and Rowena Crest Viewpoint. Great scenery and fun road.

image.thumb.png.a3a429609561a977f5431b11763b0423.png

image.thumb.png.ff2452f1656662e8bc08f74a8cb7e488.png

• Thumbsup 1