Rear sprocket install disaster

On 5/14/2021 at 7:40 PM, Warchild said:

There is no way I am taking these Titanium sprocket nylocs to that ridiculously high torque value of 59 ft-lbs. Then again, I have been doing these sprocket changes on very high-powered chain-drive bikes for the best part of 30 years, and have the experience to know better. Currently with the BMW S1000XR, the Hayabusa before that, the YZF-R1 before that, the CBR1100XX Blackbird before that, and the Honda CBR1000F before that. The R1 aside, none of these bikes call for such insanely high torque values; that is how you get into trouble as poor petshark has experienced.

I will take these Ti nylocs to ~ 43 ft-lbs when I replace the factory drive train in early June. That is more than sufficient.

TiNuts.thumb.jpg.7abf17dcc981863084cd2043a1e9af48.jpg

@WarchildMay I ask you a few questions about these?

Where did you buy them? They look like pro bolts from the UK.
Are you happy with them? (Real titanium? No corrosion anywhere?)
Does one need a 12 point socket? I only have 6 point sockets.
Does the titanium look noticeably better than stainless steel? If I'm not mistaken this is a race part and is meant to lower unsprung weight. I don't think we really notice this so it's mostly about looks, right?

My thinking is if I'm not sure how to proceed I might as well throw a visual upgrade in the mix to make it easier to decide. 8)

Edited by petshark