Stock header vs. aftermarket gains.

mardak

Looking at the stock header, I'm wondering what gains the aftermarket exhaust options are realizing with their own header vs. stock? It seems there are no real slip-on options for the FJ because the stock exhaust is one piece, and would require some cutting and fabrication. From a marketing perspective a complete bolt-on solution would be preferable, but I wonder how similar the performance would be with simply adapting an Akro/Graves/Arrow muffler to the stock header?

The initial farkles list for my new FJ is getting pretty long and expensive. :) Saving some money on the exhaust would offset that quite nicely. I'm good with a welder, and can probably adapt an aftermarket muffler fairly easily, but don't necessarily want to leave any hp on the table. The stock header looks to be a nice piece though, and my uneducated guess is that the gains are mostly to be had in the muffler/cat itself. Any thoughts?

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

The stock exhaust is actually very good, if a bit heavy. Real HP/TQ gains will generally come with a full exhaust coupled with a proper flash. That should net you about 10-15 more HP and a weight savings of 10-15 lbs. 1st learn to ride the bike with the stock bits and then put the exhaust on only if you really need the HP (riding 2-up comes to mind) and/or you simply want to bling it out. And there is nothing wrong with a little added bling, right!!
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

The stock exhaust is actually very good, if a bit heavy. Real HP/TQ gains will generally come with a full exhaust coupled with a proper flash. That should net you about 10-15 more HP and a weight savings of 10-15 lbs. 1st learn to ride the bike with the stock bits and then put the exhaust on only if you really need the HP (riding 2-up comes to mind) and/or you simply want to bling it out. And there is nothing wrong with a little added bling, right!!

Coming from a much more powerful bike, I'll need to extract maximum ponies right off the bat. An exhaust and tune are at the top of the list.
'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

Understood, carry on then.... FWIW, I can vouch for the Arrow full exhaust and the flash from 2Wheel Dynoworks: http://2wheeldynoworks.com/ The Arrow is very stealth with a black can and carbon fibre tip. It is also not too loud, IMHO, and does not "drone" while on the highway...
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Archived