• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 51 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Screen Discovery Possible Cheap Fix

carey

We all know the OEM screen isn't perfect, and I like the look of a small tinted screen.  I recently picked up a small tinted Ermax screen from another forum member, and during the installation, I thought I would replace the OEM plastic screws with some SS pieces. 
While looking in my parts stash, I found the SS screws and some small plastic spacers.  I don't remember where I got them, but they look like something you would use to mount a piece of pegboard.  They're small cylinders about 1/2" tall.  With nothing to loose but a little time, I mounted the Ermax screen with these spacers, effectively holding the screen 1/2" off of the mounts. 
How does it work?  Well I only got a few miles before the sky opened up, but I was pleasantly surprised on how much quieter/smoother it was compared to OEM.  I have not tried the Ermax screen without the spacers or the OEM screen with the spacers, but based on my brief ride, I don't plan on any more screen mods.  Keep in mind, this set up doesn't create a large quiet air pocket, but a very smooth and quiet air flow.
Here's my bike with the Ermax;Front

DSCN5656.jpg

Side

DSCN5657.jpg

Close up of spacers

DSCN5658.jpg
One small negative, all full lock, the edge of the OEM handguard touched the screen.  I plan to replace them with KTM handguards, and I think that issue will go away.

• 2 weeks later...
Another update, 1/2" spacers worked well, so I thought I would try 1" spacers. I will be going back to 1/2". Both spacers made smooth air, but 1" spacers was very loud. With 1/2" spacers, the loudness was mostly at higher speeds ~70 MPH.

I've done something similar . But instead of putting the spacers on the screen, I've jusr put 2 spacers on the top of the mounting bracket. This pushes the top out and makes the screen more vertical. The change is amazing, cut the wind noise by 2/3rds. 
Before the bike was unridable without earplugs. 

I've done something similar . But instead of putting the spacers on the screen, I've jusr put 2 spacers on the top of the mounting bracket. This pushes the top out and makes the screen more vertical. The change is amazing, cut the wind noise by 2/3rds.  Before the bike was unridable without earplugs. 
How thick were the spacers you used? 

I've done something similar . But instead of putting the spacers on the screen, I've jusr put 2 spacers on the top of the mounting bracket. This pushes the top out and makes the screen more vertical. The change is amazing, cut the wind noise by 2/3rds.  Before the bike was unridable without earplugs. 

Some pics please

I tried your mod today and liked it. Up to about 55 MPH, it was very quiet. At 70+, you could hear the air, but it was not too loud. I used 1/2 plastic spacers and M6x30mm long bolts. The weather turned for the worse and I couldn't try any other variations, but if I get a another chance, I might try spacing out my screen again, like in my original post.

• 1 month later...
I tried this mod with a spacers under the black windshield mount, 1/2" on bottom and 5/8" on top to rake it slightly steeper and let some air in under the shield. I'm going with the theory of the Madstad system and today felt some improvement in both middle and top positions, tomorrow trying low. I'm thinking the little diverters under the black bracket and under the shield are pushing the air to the sides and disturbing the cleaner flow. Has anyone tried cutting these off? I'm tempted to see if it works but it's a commitment at that point.

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_1885.jpg
Last night I decided to drill four holes in the stock screen to work like the Earmax and let more air under the screen to reduce the turbulence of the stock shield. Today test riding today  work in the middle position was much smoother at speeds up to 80 mph and on the way home tried high and was definitely better than before. With the windshield still spaced out and slightly angled more between the adjuster and plastic plate with the drilled holes I feel the stock screen is good enough for me and wont search for anything different. In comparison with the stock setup it buffeted my head so bad if I didn't duck it gave me a headache! I'm 5'10", 30" inseam. It's definitely worth a try as the worst you can do is ruin a windshield you wanted to throw away anyway!

Archived