Newbie from quebec

papifun

Newbie here... Have a flhx and looking for. Second daily toy. Undecided between F800R or a sweet Fj-09 which I think is awesome looking bike,, wish they had white here in Canada... One week to decide. To much snow still on ground so can't play. HD is not stock. Modified with 121hp@ 130TQ. Pulls like a train.. FJ09 tops my list so far.. Ride safe..

Newbie here... Have a flhx and looking for. Second daily toy. Undecided between F800R or a sweet Fj-09 which I think is awesome looking bike,, wish they had white here in Canada... One week to decide. To much snow still on ground so can't play. HD is not stock. Modified with 121hp@ 130TQ. Pulls like a train.. FJ09 tops my list so far.. Ride safe..

Have you test rode the F800r ?
I did and it was very tractor like so I chose the tracer :-)

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Have you test rode the F800r ? I did and it was very tractor like so I chose the tracer :-)
Compared to the FJ the F800R will feel positively gutless; I know because I had a BMW F800 GT (identical engine, albeit with belt final drive).   But in most other respects the GT was a fine little bike, but with its underwhelming on-the-road performance it (the 800 R) will not hold a candle to the FJ - IMHO. L of S

Have you test rode the F800r ? I did and it was very tractor like so I chose the tracer :-)
Compared to the FJ the F800R will feel positively gutless; I know because I had a BMW F800 GT (identical engine, albeit with belt final drive).   But in most other respects the GT was a fine little bike, but with its underwhelming on-the-road performance it (the 800 R) will not hold a candle to the FJ - IMHO. L of S

No, I haven't tried either due to weather. Still below freezing weather and snow and a lot of gravel and salt on roads.. I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible. I assume the F800R is more rough due to only two cylinders...  What do u mean VERY TRACTOR LIKE ? aren't BMW smooth  ? I thought a HD was like a tractor lol..

I was deciding between F800GS and FJ a few weeks ago myself.

If it helps, here's what made me choose FJ:

- Felt a lot more comfortable on FJ, I'm 5.8 feet tall
- Price (accessories wise as well)
- FJ will be a lot more fun on the roads, realistically I will probably do very little to none off-road.

However if off-road is what you're after, than GS is the way to go.
Also Moto Internationale (Montreal) had F800GS 2014 at a reduced price and has 20% off till the end of March in store for accessories and gear, worth to check them out.

Hope that helps, either way both are great looking bikes.

I was deciding between F800GS and FJ a few weeks ago myself. 
If it helps, here's what made me choose FJ:

- Felt a lot more conformable on FJ, I'm 5.8 feet tall
- Price (accessories wise as well)
- FJ will be a lot more fun on the roads, realistically I will probably do very little to none off-road.

However if off-road is what you're after, than GS is the way to go.
Also Moto Internationale (Montreal) had F800GS 2014 at a reduced price and has 20% off till the end of March in store for accessories and gear, worth to check them out.

Hope that helps, either way both are great looking bikes.

thanks Dev... Ya i went to Moto Intl Montreal. ty for your feedback. won't do off road but as u know.. roads here are like being OFF ROAD.. ride safe

• Premium Member
Undecided between F800R or a sweet Fj-09
I wanted to like the F800 bikes -- they're so comfortable and set up fine for touring.  I had an R or RS in my sights a couple of years ago, but after trying one out I gave up on them because the engine is just so uninspiring.  It sounds nice but it's just flat all through the range.  BMW could do a whole lot better with 800ccs; even the Versys 650 completely trumps its motor IMO.  Add to that the high cost and it's just not that attractive. 
In my mind the natural competitor to the FJ is the Street Triple; that was in fact the bike I was planning to buy until the FJ was announced.  I love the motor and handling of my Daytona 675 so it would be like coming home, but without the wrist and spine torture.  The FJ completely trumps the StT in factory options support, though, and is cheaper to boot, although probably not after upgrading the suspension.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

jimf - i took your advice.. deposit down today - now wait two weeks for delivery.. long term, i think FJ will be lower cost to maintain compared to F800R. Insurance is also cheaper then many other bikes for some reason.

Archived