• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

FJ-09 questions, potential new owner

I've got a 2020 Tracer GT which has a longer swingarm and I've ever experienced the speed wobble.  I hated the stock windscreen - like alternating pats to my shoulders and helmet.  I rode 500 miles in one day with that screen on my way home and it was soon swapped for a MRA Touring.  That was an improvement and then I added an X Wing from Amazon and it works well for me.  I have the 39L Yamaha top case plus the side cases and also put a 58L duffle bag on the rear seat when traveling.  The top case is mostly empty most.  Have ridden it in all kinds of conditions except snow and ice.  I have raised the front forks 7mm and adjusted the suspension.  It has seen well over 100mph loaded - certainly that was on a closed course.  From what I've gathered some FJ09/Tracers seem to be more prone to the wobble than others.  My thought on possible causes are rider input, tires, head bearings and suspension settings.  My ZX6R did not have a steering damper and it would shake it's head a bit when hitting an expansion joint slightly leaned over at the top of 2nd gear.  Added an Ohlens damper and that went away.  The FJ09/Tracer wobble is different.  FJ09 is light in the front and raising the forks does put more weight on it.  I tend to have quick hands and quickly adjust the bars in crosswinds and when going by trucks and have never had a hint of a stability issue.  Worst I've experienced was crossing the Mackanaw Bridge in Michigan during high winds.  I fought the bike the whole way across, bike was fine but winds were choppy and coming from the east (my right).  I was trying to keep the bike in the left track of the right lane and did so but took continuous corrections on the bars!  I may have been gripping them too tight.  The lake was covered with whitecaps.

• Thumbsup 2