HOW TO REMOVE MIRROR

vrex

How do you remove the FJ mirror stalks? Loosening the 15mm nut at the base of the stalk seems to just allow adjustment, it unscrews just so far and no farther. I know, a stupid question (sigh . . . )

Guest branthopolis
Typically you loosen the nut then unscrew the whole stalk.. Shaft is threaded at base.

Haven't done it on my FJ so I don't know if its the same...

How do you remove the FJ mirror stalks? Loosening the 15mm nut at the base of the stalk seems to just allow adjustment, it unscrews just so far and no farther. I know, a stupid question (sigh . . . )
There is a rubber boot 1/2 way up the mirror stock. Just slide the boot up the stalk. Then see a nickel colored nut there and that's where the extension goes up to. The stalk also has to come out of the black 15mm nutted mirror base you mentioned. Give it a good turn, it will loosen up. I may have grabbed my mirror head and turned it for leverage. Can't remember if it was clockwise or counter.  
Lots of info here: http://fj-09.org/thread/1579/mirror-stem-extensions

Do call Carl's Cycle to order though. I had them put in the mail and they are very friendly. Online was pretty pricy to ship. Calling them and asking for US postal was much more reasonable. Koubalink is closed for vacation until the end of the month I think I saw. The black ones look like OEM. Very nice match. No more elbows but a bit of distortion. Maybe I just need to tighten mine up more as I haven't scene any other issues with them. All good and definitely needed. 

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Archived