Installation of Yamaha Lowering Links

2bad

I wanted to be able to flat foot the FJ-09, so I ordered the low seat and the OEM Yamaha links.  I figured these 2 items, in combination with slightly raising the fork tubes, would provide the ideal seat height for me at 5'6" .

I have noticed a couple of other threads on this website about lowering the bike, but I have not been able to locate a step-by-step procedure.   The instructions which came with the package are not very informative - there is one page with an artist's rendering of the bike's rear suspension and an arrow pointing to the location of the links, and that is it.  

In searching the internet I found suggestions that the installation of the lowering links was quite easy.   I am hoping that one of you who may have done this job would be willing to list the steps you followed.   Were you able to do it with the bike on the centre stand and no special equipment?  Did you need to place a jack under the bike?   If so, what jacking point did you use?   

Thanks in advance, any comments would be appreciated.

• Premium Member
I wanted to be able to flat foot the FJ-09, so I ordered the low seat and the OEM Yamaha links.  I figured these 2 items, in combination with slightly raising the fork tubes, would provide the ideal seat height for me at 5'6" . 
I have noticed a couple of other threads on this website about lowering the bike, but I have not been able to locate a step-by-step procedure.   The instructions which came with the package are not very informative - there is one page with an artist's rendering of the bike's rear suspension and an arrow pointing to the location of the links, and that is it.  

In searching the internet I found suggestions that the installation of the lowering links was quite easy.   I am hoping that one of you who may have done this job would be willing to list the steps you followed.   Were you able to do it with the bike on the centre stand and no special equipment?  Did you need to place a jack under the bike?   If so, what jacking point did you use?   

Thanks in advance, any comments would be appreciated.

Bike on centerstand, jack under one corner of the swingarm to raise or lower the swingarm until the dogbone bolts are loose so they will come out easily. Easy peasy.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thanks, Ulewz, your advice was just what I needed.   Job done, and I'm very happy with the results.

The lower seat definitely has less padding than the regular.   But after enduring many rides on unfriendly bicycle seats, I find it is not so bad.   I plan to use the original seat when I take my wife for a ride or when I am carrying touring luggage.   So I'll refer to that as my 'luxury' seat !

Thanks again, and thanks to everyone here.   I did a lot of pre-purchase research here, and it was invaluable.  Hopefully I can make some helpful contributions in the future. 

• Premium Member
Thanks, Ulewz, your advice was just what I needed.   Job done, and I'm very happy with the results. 
The lower seat definitely has less padding than the regular.   But after enduring many rides on unfriendly bicycle seats, I find it is not so bad.   I plan to use the original seat when I take my wife for a ride or when I am carrying touring luggage.   So I'll refer to that as my 'luxury' seat !

Thanks again, and thanks to everyone here.   I did a lot of pre-purchase research here, and it was invaluable.  Hopefully I can make some helpful contributions in the future. 

super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 9 months later...

Archived