New guy with questions, am VERY happy with this bike~!

So my KLR blew up (again) and I said enough was enough and wanted a new bike. Posted mine for sale and went to look at a Vstrom 650. Was not happy about the color or the look, but it was "better" for what I wanted (a little off road, more street). As I was talking to my friend (who was also the sales guy) I noticed the Fj, and was initially under the impression it was a funky looking crotch rocket, so I ignored it when he suggested I check it out. 

Got home that night, and something about it was sticking in my brain so I did some Googling and ended up liking it more and more. Granted, its not an ADV bike but I figure I can go camping with it just as much as I did on the KLR since I wasnt trail riding. 

Anywho, my bday was the 20th and the 21rst I picked up #18 in gray!!! First things first, HOLY SHIT THE POWER! I almost tripled my HP over the KLR and this bike is nuts in comparison. 

I do have some questions, and Im going to try not to ask the same things as I've read here (lots of good info already) 

*I figured out the tool strap thing, but I cant actually get it on. can anyone help with that?

*Has anyone else noticed the allen wrench and screw driver under the passenger seat?

*What RPMs are good to ride in? I was doing 60 in second the other day without realizing it, caught myself going around town in 3rd for the whole damn trip. Coming off the KLR where max speed was 70mph @5k RPMs, Im not sure where I should be....

Anyway, thanks for the help!

*I figured out the tool strap thing, but I cant actually get it on. can anyone help with that?

Use the side with the rubber "L" looking end to help you tighten down the strap in to the center. See picture.

0g2vhKu.jpg

*Has anyone else noticed the allen wrench and screw driver under the passenger seat?

Yep. Not sure what good it's for. I used to think the KL.R had a crappy toolkit and I was going to upgrade it. This thing barely has a toolkit at all. I mean, how the heck are you supposed to use it? And what for?

Guest eatpasta
Anywho, my bday was the 20th and the 21rst I picked up #18 in gray!!! First things first, HOLY SHIT THE POWER! I almost tripled my HP over the shitbox and this bike is nuts in comparison.  

well what do you expect coming from that.....bike that you had before???   Wayyyy over weight, under powered....good for nothing.... ok dont get me started 

Guest eatpasta
Hahahahahah! The whole time reading your post I was wondering what bike would be called shitbox.
was there ever any doubt in your mind 

Guest eatpasta
In all my years of riding I never stalled a bike at an intersection like I did a shitbox for a summer, ugh, painful memories.
and FYI there is a real easy fix / alternative to..... that bike.  Plus it's about a 1000 times better bike.    Baja 1000 pedigree helps

Honda_XR650L_120.jpg

Welcome new guy!

My KayElleARrrrrrrgh was replaced in 2010 by a wee'tard: Yamaha WR250X, the supermoto version wtih 17" wheels. It also had a proper set of dirty wheels&tires: 21/18 wearing D606. Fun light bike, but too slow for passing on twisty roads. I sold it in October. In March it gets replaced with a new KTM 690 Enduro R.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Guest eatpasta
Welcome new guy! 
My KayElleARrrrrrrgh was replaced in 2010 by a wee'tard: Yamaha WR250X, the supermoto version wtih 17" wheels. It also had a proper set of dirty wheels&tires: 21/18 wearing D606. Fun light bike, but too slow for passing on twisty roads. I sold it in October. In March it gets replaced with a new KTM 690 Enduro R.
790.gif 

690 is the real deal....

OK, somebody has to defend the KL.R so it might as well be me. I owned one and really liked it! Comparing the KL.R to almost any other bike is like comparing a mule to a thoroughbred but the mule is a dependable beast that will get you where you want to go without a lot of fuss. Cockroaches, Cher and KL.R's will survive the apocalypse.

Archived