New member from Lacombe, Alberta Canada

kroc

Picked up my new 2015 Dark Grey FJ-09 on April 5, 2016, from Cycle Works Red Deer, Alberta.  My previous ride was a 1994 Kawasaki KLR650 with about 56K.  Riding since May 2012 with annual mileage of about 6,000 km, but as a kid on the farm in Saskatchewan rode three-wheeled trikes (Honda ATC90) and friend's 80-125 cc enduro motorcycles.  Took the FJ-09 out initially at Yamaha Demo days out of E & S Cycle in Fort Saskatchewan in June of 2015 with my son.  He ended up buying an FZ-09 and being an older fart I opted for the FJ-09.  I like the riding position and of all the bikes I either have ridden in the last few years on demo rides or rentals (Super Tenere, Ducati Scrambler, Ducati Multistrada, BMW K75, BMW F800 GS, Versys 650 and 1000) the FJ-09 and the KLR650 were the most comfortable and just seemed to fit me.  I got the soft side cases and mounts from Yamaha and a rad protector.  Will be looking at crash bars or sliders (didn't like the Yamaha offerings) and likely a tank bag with ring.  

Was out for a 100 km ride last night.  Sweet.  Made sure to follow break in recommendations.  Some first impressions which I will follow up on via some of the other forum threads:

1. Wind noise and buffeting were worse than on my KLR and thus will need to get a taller windscreen.  I adjusted the FJ's but without much benefit.  The KLR had an aftermarket tall windscreen.  

2. The foot pegs on the FJ-09 are quite narrow, may need to look at some wider ones, or simply just get used to them.

3. The seat seems flimsy.  Had it a at the highest setting.  The plastic piece that it sits on doesn't seem too robust.

4. Handle bars seemed a bit more buzzy.  Ones with a bit more rubber may fix this and perhaps bar ends.  

5. Wife and daughter were concerned about the sound of the bike coming from the garage.  I guess it is a bit different compared to my old KLR650 Thumper with an aftermarket exhaust :).

6. Had my iPhone 5 and a ram mount on the bike with a speedo app.  The speed indicated on the FJ-09 was about 5-7 km/hr faster than on the iPhone GPS speedometer app when traveling at 100-110 km/hr at a steady speed.  Compared the two several times during the ride with similar results.  My KLR speedometer was about 8-10 km/hr too slow compared with the iPhone app.

7.  May need to get a radar detector; the bike just wants to go!

I plan  on putting some km on the bike this spring, summer and fall before hip surgery this fall (moderate to severe osteoarthritis and thus a full hip replacement).  Fortunately, I have a colleague about my age (I am 53) that has had this done and he has an FJ-09 too!  Potential trips include SE Minnesota to visit where my grandmother was born and where my 3x great grandfather farmed in the late 1800's.  Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and Boise, Idaho to visit family and rides around Alberta with my son. 

Cheers!

Kelly

Archived