All I need is $$$$

The dog bone links on shock linkage on my bike were way too tight and loosening them softened up the rear enough to feel it.  
These should be tightening onto bushings and bearings, providing clearance between the arms and the struts to which they connect.  So "loosening" the bolts should not change their pivoting force, and is defeating the reason for the original torque requirement on these fasteners.  If there is not clearance when they are tight then something is wrong and this should be addressed by a qualified mechanic.  Not having the correct torque on these nuts could result in a dangerous situation over time, as they may loosen further and eventually back off entirely. 

That's the theory, but the factory mechanic over-tightened mine so much they were binding up. I agree that too loose can cause problems also. I used lock tight to ensure the nuts do not back off.

It is entirely possible the inner pivot shafts/cylinders/races are too short (I do not know what they are called).  I will have to  double check that next time I take the shock off.

Archived