All I need is $$$$

....to make my Fj just right. $1500 suspension overhaul-LOTS of work $400 seat$150 windshield$300 ECU remap-more work$200 sump protector$100 sprockets for my preferred highway gearing (reduced vibes and whistling/whining) and more work$2 earplugs   approx. total $2,752  not gonna happen! Think I will just ride my perfectly sprung BMW R1150RT or (shocker) smooth riding Harley Road King and use the FJ for very short solo hops on perfect roads in rain mode with a seat pad and earplugs. This bike is a twitchy bumpy,nervous nelly on a rough road with the engine running so lean it actually reminds me of my old Kawasaki 500 two stroke triple on trailing throttle. I brace my self for every large bump. I'm TRYING to like this bike,I really am.

You'd need quite a bit more $$$$ to buy new versions of the other bikes you mentioned. So basically: significantly more expensive bike is better than cheaper bike. Got it, quite the revelation you stumbled upon there.

Hal,

Without disagreeing with you, I'd just say the FJ is not for you. It's not going to have the ride quality of the Beemer, or be a highway cruiser like the Harley.

I picked up a new 2015 FJ about a month ago after owning a Ducati Scrambler for the last year. The Scrambler is a fun little bike, but if you think the suspension, fueling and seat are lacking on the FJ, don't waste your time on the Scrambler. When I was looking to upgrade I looked at the R1200RS, R1200R and S1000XR. I actually liked the R1200R most, but it was just under 19K OTD which was a bit out of my range. Also looked at, and liked, the Triumph Tiger XRX. Very nice bike with a little better fueling than the FJ, nicer seat too. But the XRX was no where near as much fun to ride (way less power, noticeable extra weight and jeez does the Tiger through off heat!) and with the deal I got on the 2015 FJ the XRX would have been almost 3K more.

So the FJ isn't perfect, some people complain about the fueling, windscreen, seat and suspension. Honestly I've been riding on and off for over 40 years and the only thing I find really objectionable is the windscreen (which from my experience is pretty common with ADV styled bikes). The bike is a hoot to drive and while maybe not great at any one thing does a lot of stuff very well. Plus when you factor in the normal Yamaha reliability, fairly cheap to operate and an OTD of a little over 9K for an 2105, it's one of the better deals on the market.

I'm old enough to realize that there's not a product that works for everyone and life's too short to be struggling with something you don't like. Hope it works out for you with the FJ, but if it doesn't have fun and ride safe on whatever your riding!

Primary reason for this purchase was the need for a small bike that was nearly maintenance free for very short hops around the 'hood. The BMW requires a ridiculous amount of maintenance and always has the well-documented rear end/drive shaft/clutch problems waiting to rear their ugly heads. The small bike takes off some of the load from my big bikes. My Harley is more of a cherished garage queen that I don't wish to use as a daily rider. The little Yammie is great for smooth road use and a decent mount as long as I don't get out on our bumpy chip seal highways. I like the legroom and typical Japanese reliability. I used to have a torque monster Triumph Speed Triple with tons of power everywhere so I mistakenly assumed the FJ would be about the same in the power department. I was not able to test ride one and stupidly relied on the magazine tests but should have dug deeper. It is a nice bike for 10 mile runs,IMHO. Sorry if you do not agree....

• Premium Member
For short 10 mile hops, you should probably get a scooter. And that might actually be better than the bikes you have....for short rides of course :)
I have a 10 mile commute. I considered a scooter for the trip. Then I rode a Tmax when my Tracer was in for the gear shaft recall. The idea of riding a scooter to work evaporated, even a 530cc one. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
"The test of the motorcycle is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the motorcycle produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong, until either the motorcycle or your mind is changed."

Streettracker

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I guess my ancient dinosaurs aren't too shabby after all. The Yamaha is just so friggin' high tech and such a cutting edge modern design I thought that at the very least the basics would have been worked out. I read all the negative reviews on the FZ that were ostensibly corrected on the FJ. Man,that FZ must have been  REALLY awful. 

It's immaterial whether I agree with you or not, it's you bucks and your butt, lol! BTW, I'm also a big Triumph fan and I was really surprised the XRX wasn't more powerful than it is. Sounds like you'd be better off selling the FJ and getting a used Speed Triple, another great bike and since the 2016 redesign you should be able to pickup a clean used one at a great price...

Primary reason for this purchase was the need for a small bike that was nearly maintenance free for very short hops around the 'hood. The BMW requires a ridiculous amount of maintenance and always has the well-documented rear end/drive shaft/clutch problems waiting to rear their ugly heads. The small bike takes off some of the load from my big bikes. My Harley is more of a cherished garage queen that I don't wish to use as a daily rider. The little Yammie is great for smooth road use and a decent mount as long as I don't get out on our bumpy chip seal highways. I like the legroom and typical Japanese reliability. I used to have a torque monster Triumph Speed Triple with tons of power everywhere so I mistakenly assumed the FJ would be about the same in the power department. I was not able to test ride one and stupidly relied on the magazine tests but should have dug deeper. It is a nice bike for 10 mile runs,IMHO. Sorry if you do not agree....

I only have 350 miles on it and I'm hoping that I can get the suspension broken in a bit more and hopefully get it at least a little sorted out without having to spend any cash. I paid just under 10K OTD and I would take a big loss if I were to sell,since new ones can be bought around here for around 9K plus TT&L. if you can get around the BS fees,that is. I sold a couple of classic bikes to buy this one since I was sick of wrenchin' all the time. I will not pull the front end on a brand new bike. I can change the gearing easily enough and I simply MUST get the ECU upgrade. This thing runs very poorly like an old 2 stroke even. Sorry to vent on you guys! I'll get over it....

Hal,, I'm sure you can get the suspension sorted out for less money than you think. For the front all you really need is some springs and maybe a bit thicker oil...less than $125.00 if you do it yourself.
And a good rear shock can be had for about $600.00 if you buy new, and even less if you can find someone selling a used one...not uncommon at all.
I'm sure you can find a nice used seat also for half of what they cost new....so dont give up just yet, you have a great platform to build on.

Hey,thanks for the encouraging words! You are right I'm sure. There are lots of things I really like about the bike - I shouldn't fixate on the negatives. I just need to start tinkering a bit like I have on all the others. Whining is never a good thing and I will try to refrain from it in the future. No bike is perfect out of the box. Just a bit of buyers remorse I suppose. Today it was 95 degrees outside and I was on a miserable stretch of highway with the wind buffeting me to death,my gonads crushed on the seat,my ass and shoulders being pummeled by the suspension with the engine whistling like hell at stupid RPM's on a "pleasure" ride....haha!

For short 10 mile hops, you should probably get a scooter. And that might actually be better than the bikes you have....for short rides of course :)
I have a 10 mile commute. I considered a scooter for the trip. Then I rode a Tmax when my Tracer was in for the gear shaft recall. The idea of riding a scooter to work evaporated, even a 530cc one. 
Soon after having my hip replaced a few years ago I bought a Burgman 650 scooter, thinking I might not be able to ride my C14 Concours again, and wanting to experience the scooter thing perhaps for a few years from now anyhow. 
It was handy to be able to just slide my leg through the middle for sure, but even as a 650 it just wasn't enough like the motorcycles I'd been riding for almost 40 years.  The small wheels were part of it, but the whole experience just wasn't for me yet.  My hip got rehabbed to a point of now being my best joint overall, and the Burgman was sold on Craig's.

I took the stock windshield off and that dramatically improved air flow and eliminated helmet buffeting. Depending on how much you weigh, set rider sag front a rear to minimum levels needed for your weight. Reduce dampening settings as much as possible until the suspension gets broken in. The dog bone links on shock linkage on my bike were way too tight and loosening them softened up the rear enough to feel it.   You may have too much forward chassis pitch or too much tire air pressure causing the twitchiness.  I don't know how some guys are OK with stock suspension, others are not.  Factory chain tension is also too tight, loosen it up. Try different rear tire pressures to find what works best with shock, sometimes that can make a difference. Ride around in B mode and take out some of the slack out of the throttle cable, ride around in city traffic in a higher gear than needed.  The G2 throttle tamer also helped.  The throttle is going to be more sensitive than BMW or Harley, you will need to learn how to roll on the throttle very smoothly.   Seat can be fixed with some foam, stapler (or velcro), covering, google motorcycle seat replacement.  I am tall and always ride with Air Hawk air cushion, less than $100.  For street riding you really do not need sump protection, but one mod is to get a Mazda drain plug which is flat and grind off the protective brackets.  Higher gearing is not needed, just get used to it.  I wrapped the grips in foam tape and tennis racket wrap on top of that, which is something I do for all my bikes.  Save up for APE cam chain tensioner, just in case.  My stock one went out in 300 miles.

So now you can quite whining and get to work.  Probably, ECU and better suspension, are the best places to spend money.   Comparing the FJ 09  to either BMW R1150RT or (shocker) smooth riding Harley Road King is kind of ridiculous.  All 3 are dramatically different bikes.   I don't care for the BMW's, and my Harley is stuffed away in a corner of the garage, might even sell it.  FJ 09 may get me down to one bike for the first time in a few decades.

In the mean time, I have spent $3,000 on Ohlins suspension,  I am too heavy for stock suspension, and too spoiled for anything less.  There are not many new bikes, if any at all, that I would not have to do suspension and ECU/engine mods.

Thanks so much for taking the time to address my concerns. All good ideas. The G2 throttle tamer was a great tip! I was not aware of such a device. The ECU upgrade is a must-the bike just does not run right. I thing after I do that the G2 would allow me to run around in A mode,if I am lucky. I suppose I am a little more anal than most folks when it comes to my bike. I spent over 10 years in the motorcycle business starting way back in 1972 at a BSA,Triumph and Yamaha shop so I have been riding for while. I started out on a friends $40 Cushman by Allstate in '61. I suppose you might say the FJ is an improvement over that one!                                                                                                                      I was not aware of the cam chain tensioner situation. I did a little digging and if I need to do the APE it is no big deal.     Part of the reason I bought this bike was the fact that I have just had a Total Knee Replacement,so at 6'4" tall I needed a light weight tall bike. The big twins were a bit tough to move around and lift off the side stand as you can well imagine.

Archived