Kind of a wierd request

alfix

Hi guys and girls,

I'm planning on doing a two week vacation on the West Coast in October, specifically the San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco area. I would love to use those two weeks to explore everything on a bike.
The problem for me is that renting a bike like the FJ-09 for two weeks from a rental company costs more money than I am able to spend. Thankfully, I found an insurance company that offers 30 day insurance (with comprehensive and collision, $150 deductible) for around $300.
Thus, a somewhat strange idea was born: I could buy a bike from someone, insure it and ride around on it, and then sell it back to that person two weeks later. Of course I would be "losing" some money on that, but as long as it's not more than ~$1000, it will be cheaper than renting from a company.

So, the question is: Is anybody interested in making a quick buck in the first two weeks of October?

To expand a little bit: I will buy the bike from you, insure it and register everything with the DMV. Then I will ride around California and Nevada and Arizona (gotta see that Grand Canyon) for two weeks. After those two weeks, given that I haven't crashed or otherwise significantly damaged the bike, I will sell it back to you for less (up to ~$1000) than what I bought it for.
I am a 24 year old rider from Germany with 6 years of riding experience on a Honda FT500 (2 years), a BMW K100RS (1 year) and a KTM 990 SM T (3 years and counting). In Germany I mainly ride in the Alps and the Black Forest. I like to have fun on the bike, but I'm not reckless. Additionally I'm currently doing an internship in North Carolina, so I'm already getting used to North American traffic.

If anyone is interested, just reply to this thread or send me a PM so we can hash out the details.

Ride safe!

Archived