Another potential rider from Colorado

jimco

Hello FJ09ers. I'm new to the site, but not new to motorcycles. I've been riding since the early 60's (yeah, I'm old). I currently ride a 2005 FZ1. It has 88,xxx miles and I am thinking about upgrading to an FJ.

I've Traxionized (is that a word?) the forks and installed an R6 shock, a jet kit and an after market slipon. It's got a Sargent seat and the handle bars have been raised 1 inch and 1 inch back.

I primarily ride the mountains of Colorado, living about 100 miles west of Denver. I ride several longer trips each summer; 2+ weeks each. Yeah, I'm retired, too. I rarely get above 10,000 rpm's, so I really don't use all the horsepower the FZ can deliver.

Whew, pretty wordy here.

First of all, do you think I will be disappointed in the performance of the FJ?

I've been eyeballing the FJ and have a couple of questions I couldn't find answers to in my research. What is the electrical system output and how much is available for accessories? I use heated jacket (max of 90 Watts) and gloves (max of 30 Watts). Will this cause excessive drain on the “system?” I am aware of the available heated grips, but I already have the gloves. :-)

Could someone who has ridden a first generation FZ compare the two bikes in terms of rider comfort for the long haul and overall performance?

Thanks and sorry for the wordy first post.

Jim

Welcome Jim! I can answer your question on the output of the generator (alternator).

Standard output 14.0 V, 415 W@5000 r/min

Good info GSORider. Where did you find it? 
How much is used by the bikes electricals? Or how much is available to use for heated gear, GPS, radar detector, phone charger etc.?

Thanks.
Jim

Guest eatpasta
First of all, do you think I will be disappointed in the performance of the FJ?

Jim

Since it's faster to 60 than the FJR, Im going to go with no 
::)

one of the guys over on ADVRider says that's it no comparison between the FJR and the FJ - the FJ smokes it.  Another ADV'er had this to say

"The triple in the FZ-09 and FJ-09 is a real gem. My 400 pound 135HP Aprilia Tuono V2(pipes and fuel mapping) was neck and neck with a stock FZ-09 from 30 up to 130"

Archived