Motorcycle Gymkhana in San Francisco, CA

There is a couple based out of Southern California who started putting on Motorcycle Gymkhana events a few years back. Their website is m-gymkhana.com. If you're unfamiliar with the sport, it is (in short) a paved surface competition with color coded cone courses. You pass blue cones on your left and red cones on your right. Yellow cones designate special "gates" and yellow topped blue and red cones designate that your exit path will cross your entry path. For more information about the sport, the Wikipedia Article is a decent starting point.

The purpose of this post is to highlight my recent experience running through a weekend worth of courses on my new FJ-09. I have been doing the sport for a few years. Previously, I would tend to run courses on my ragged out old SV650 which went around the courses almost effortlessly. I love doing them on FJ even more, so I think the SV will start seeing a transition to a dedicated track bike… I will update the post with photos and videos as they roll in.

One of our friends has started getting into videography. He mounted up a rig attached to the front forks to point a gopro at the course from the perspective of the motorcycle. He edited that to match up with the video he took of me running through the course (fastest time of the day!)

• 2 weeks later...
Cool, I've always thought my little 250 would be fun on a Gymkhana course. I would say absolutely for beginners, intermediates and experts; we should all spend some time training up our skills like this. With some basic frame sliders the damage to a bike would be pretty minimal in a drop and the risks to the rider with gear pretty low too. Skills learned are immeasurably valuable!

The best time on day one was thrown down by my friend on a ninja 250 :) The sport is welcoming to riders of all levels. The M-Gymkhana folks schedule their days with an "experience" course in the morning where you run through the course as many times as you want and then they start keeping times to get a sense of how you're improving. Then after lunch, we start running the standard three timed attack format on the other course. There is no pressure to run the competition, but there is also no downside to doing it. After that, James has started setting up some really exciting head to head courses which I haven't seen anyone else doing before.

Archived