First ride. Big Trip.

dondon

Good day,
   I'm getting my bike ready Saturday and Sunday to ride it for the first time on a road trip from Ottawa across the States Monday morning.
  I'm going to head south to Knoxville. From there spend a full day on the dragon (hwy 129) which is supposed to be one of the most legendary stretches of motorcycle twisty heaven in the world.
  From there I'm going to head west down Route 66 across a few states all the way to the grand canyon. Check that out for a day.
  Then I'll be heading north to Yellowstone Park to see the sites and to take another legendary stretch of road Hwy 212. (supposed to be an incredible motorcycle ride with breathtaking scenery).
  Then I'll turn it back home. Should be about 6500 miles. I'm expecting to take about 16-18 days.
   I'll try to post some pics before I leave and post the journey pics when I get back.
   Talk to you soon.

Yep, called Beartooth Highway. Do some research before making that commitment this time of year. Though I do know Wyoming has received very little snow. Jackson Hole even cancelled the annual snowmobile hill climb event do to lack of the fluffy white stuff. Maybe that stretch will open up early. Beautiful stretch for sure but maybe a bit early.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Well if that's true I may divert to Cali and roam around the Number 1 before Yellowstone if I have time. Thanks for the heads up Cthruu and Panooch. I'll check that.
   Always glad I post here. Seems every time I do I get some more good information. ;)

Yep, called Beartooth Highway. Do some research before making that commitment this time of year. Though I do know Wyoming has received very little snow. Jackson Hole even cancelled the annual snowmobile hill climb event do to lack of the fluffy white stuff. Maybe that stretch will open up early. Beautiful stretch for sure but maybe a bit early.
It's seems they open sections but the whole route is generally not plowed through until Memorial day (last Monday in may). So I guess I'll see when I get to Yellowstone. If it's not accessible I'll have an alternative destination. Thanks again for that :)

dondon

I am just a lurker from Ohio (will purchase and FJ in August).    

Last summer I worked in Yellowstone from July until the park closed in October.    I heard the same thing that the other posters did about them not getting much snow in the Wyoming area. this Winter.       In my 4 months in Yellowstone, it was never above 80 degrees and snowed lightly twice in September.    

Beartooth Highway - this is no joke and all motocycle riders should hope to experience this!     I drove the highway in my car 3 times; the last time just to experience it again.    Also, while you are there, the Chief Joseph highway is lots of fun and I heard but did not see the Lolo pass in Idaho is supposed to be fantastic.    Lots of amazing roads in Northern Wyoming and Montana.    Don't forget South Dakota (Not bike week).   

Weather - the other posters are absolutely correct; don't go towards Yellowstone until June.   It is just not worth being stuck and the hotels can be very expensive.    

The Good News - You sound like you are ready for a ride no matter what, so just go South.     Southern Utah, Arizona, the Ozarks in Arkansas and Missouri, North Carolina, Georgia; there are lots of places and you get to ride them.   

Just plan your Northern route for another time!

Steve

Archived