Throttle Body Sync

Are new bikes initially started at the factory or is this done at the dealer? I am curious as to if an initial throttle body sync is done (is it even necessary), and if so is it a factory or dealer responsibly? As I become more familiar with my engine, now well broken in, I am trying to understand if it was rougher than it should have been. I have always done my own work (with experienced oversight) and have little confidence in my dealer's mechanics. I have yet to have the recall done (waiting on parts) and feel quite uneasy letting someone unknown to me do it. Call me Mr Paranoia!

Ok, mr paranoia. :)

Seriously you need to try and trust the experts to perform the recall. That's what they are trained to do.

Regarding TB sync. Understand that when motorcycles are put together, the frame is mated to an engine/IntakeTB assembly. So yes, the engine is test run on the assembly line and again when the dealership performs a pdi which includes a test ride.

However, adjusting the sync to be perfect is part of the first service. At this point, it is adjusted after the engine has broken in and in the environment the customer usually rides in (altitude, temp, etc.)

-Skip

This may be a dumb question, but how important is it to have the throttle body sync performed on the first service? I drop mine off for this service in the next couple days and will ask the service department at that point, but am interested in hearing your thoughts prior to dropping it off.

I may be wrong, but when I booked the service I was under the impression that it only included an oil change and a once over of the bike which seemed consistent with many of the responses on the 1st service cost thread.

Thanks.

Vern

My bike was not assembled at my dealer's but pulled from a shop 60 miles away. My dealer sells very few motorcycles. They deal mostly in ATVs of other brands for ranchers. Placing my recall request in the shop area the only motorcycles I saw belonged to employees and were not bikes sold there. That's why I chose to do my own sync.

I shall pray to Arthur Brown, God of Hell Fire  (he that gave my '67 Triumph TR6 wings ) for divine intervention

• 3 months later...
I ask for sync at 1st service 800 mi.s.  Mechanic Josh told me no need it's alright.  But since service manual says it needs to be checked every 4k mi.s, I said Yamaha must think it needs it so lets check it.  Took 2 hr.s and cost $125.  Josh told me that he has checked a few when troubleshooting and has never found one to be out of sync.  The sync tool also cost big bucks.  I would think if they went out of sync you would experience hard starting, rough running and power lost. The same as a carburetor bike.

I think Yamaha went over board on the throttle body sync and the plug replacement.  Manual says spend a couple hr.s disassembling and reassembling to check at 4K intervals and replace plugs at 8K intervals.  I just wasted a lot of time checking mine for the first time at 13,800 and waited that long because the bike is running great.  This being my first FI ECU bike, I thought maybe I'd better check them because maybe the ECU will compensate until it spits out error code or plug fails.  All the plugs looked good, a nice tan color, electrodes weren't worn at all.  Gaps were 2 at .033 and the other at .034.  Spec says .031-.035.  I think checks should be, check gap at 8K reset if necessary and replace at 16K or sooner if doesn't perform up to snuff.  I've got a new set on the way and will probally recheck and replace at 16K.  Then go on the 8K check schedule.   Replace when running bad or at 16K intervals.   If the bike is running great and the plugs look in good condition at 8K interval check, I'm going to leave them alone for another 8K or more.

Anyone check their plugs yet?

Steve
Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your perspective on this Steve. I just passed 1k miles on my FJ, and it's running great; perhaps a bit of surging at low speeds in low gear. Having the dealer techs tear it down to do the sync as proactive maintenance seems a bit much. Although the $125 price is a lot lower that I would have guessed. If its that low at my dealer I may have it done just to see if it improves the surging.

Spaceman, I also forgot to mention gas mileage.  I ride at a pretty good pace on average.  I've been avg. 47 mpg for about the last 5K mi.s.  That includes going up to do twisties.  Was packing 100 lb.s to and from WV plus doing the doing the twisties there, I didn't go below 43 mpg.  Bike stay above the manf. spec. avg. mileage for most of the week.  Still amazes me what the FI and ECU can do.  So like I said,  ya just have to find out how you bike runs for your riding style and do the checks.

Next big check for me is steering head bearings.  Going to check those soon and repack this winter.  While I have it down, I'll change fork oil and brake fluid.  What a fun job that's gonna be.  I'm slow, so I'm sure I'll take my time on the first tear down and plan a full weekend for that one.  Need to find the torque tool spanner wrench attachments, so I can do it right.  I'm sure their online some where.  Maybe Auto Zone may have them to loan or rent.  Might check Harbor Freight, you'd be surprised what they have in the way of tools at a good cost for us DIY guys and gals.

Steve 
Steve

I keep seeing this recall that needs to be done. What is it? My bike is just about to hit first service as I need to make the appointment. I just moved to NC so I have not been getting letters in the mail about recalls. Can someone please share so I can have it done at the first service?

Thanks
NCRider

Guest branthopolis
I keep seeing this recall that needs to be done. What is it? My bike is just about to hit first service as I need to make the appointment. I just moved to NC so I have not been getting letters in the mail about recalls. Can someone please share so I can have it done at the first service?  
Thanks
NCRider
The recall was for a fairly small range of bikes...   You can call dealer over the phone and have them run your VIN to see if yours is in the recall.. 
http://www.arfc.org/motorcycles/yamaha/fj-09/recalls/000057494001986785000000175/recall.aspx

I have a question about TB synch.....I have a harmonizer that I use for my Tenere I got from Grok on ADV. Does the FJ have two throttle bodies or three? My harmonizer will only synch two and I'd like to do my own work on the FJ.
Mike

Guest branthopolis
I have a question about TB synch.....I have a harmonizer that I use for my Tenere I got from Grok on ADV. Does the FJ have two throttle bodies or three? My harmonizer will only synch two and I'd like to do my own work on the FJ. Mike
3..   one for each cylinder. 

You could still use your "2"gauge...
Use one side on the White paint mark, or "standard TB". And the other on one of the two remaining. Sync, and then switch to the other leaving the line attached to the "standard". Provides the gauge is accurate, it's a work around. You'll need to cap the TB not being adjusted of course.

-Skip

Yes, the Harmonizer is very accurate. Check it out if you haven't seen it. I highly recommend this tool. I will have to use the TB with the white mark as the reference cylinder and synch to it.
With the harmonizer I can calculate vacuum to each TB. Not sure if those specs are in the manual or not. Of course, all of this is pre-planning as I do not have an FJ yet...........yet.
Mike

Yes, the Harmonizer is very accurate. Check it out if you haven't seen it. I highly recommend this tool. I will have to use the TB with the white mark as the reference cylinder and synch to it. With the harmonizer I can calculate vacuum to each TB. Not sure if those specs are in the manual or not. Of course, all of this is pre-planning as I do not have an FJ yet...........yet.
Mike
Yes, they are in the Factory Manual.  Should not exceed 1.33 kPa (10 mmHg).  They have the same white mark on one of the throttle body's for the Standard.  Thanks for the pointer to Gork at ADV. 
Steve
Steve

Archived