Rebound, Compression, and fork fluid question for Andreani fork cartridge upgrade

howie333

2017 - Fj-09

Will be replacing front tire soon, and was considering to change fluid in forks after some long mileage and time.  I originally purchased the Andreani cartridges from Fast Bike Industries set up for my weight and riding style. They were out of the recommended Ohlins 1309-0I w/ 19cSt, and instructed me to use the (Maxima 85\150 5W) approx. 16 cSt. at the time of installation, but since I've put some miles on this set up and always had uncertainty setting rebound and compression and    used a Motool for preload settings.  I talked w/ them recently, and they instructed me to set preload @ 30% trav.; Reb./comp. to 1-1/2 turns out together from bottom out and retorque triple clamps to 19nm top/17nm bottom.  They told me I cant set comp/rebound as other manufacturers (in shop); that can be set only from riding(seat of pants). Sort of confusing. I don't have Ohlins fluid yet, but at this time w/ a short ride hard to tell if better on rough roads or handling. Also; would there be much difference if compression/rebound cartridges are reversed (opposite Andreani instruction) in triple tree, comp/left and Reb/Right ? Should I use the recommended Ohlins fluid ? 

Thank You...

Edited by howie333

First of all, cst16 and cst19 are very close, and if anyone could tell the difference it would be a very slightly softer action of the forks. 
I have many times used lighter or heavier oil to change the fork feel, but only for slight changes. Valving changes are a better option for anything more substantial. 
Even though I would suggest sticking with installation instructions, I can’t see why having the cartridges on changed sides would make any difference whatsoever. 
Having the fork damping set at the shop is never going to be accurate, no matter the type or brand. 
They must always be adjusted by riding and how they feel to you for the way you ride. Specially forks, they are much harder to set up by just bouncing the bike compared to the rear shock. 
Front fork sag should always be set up for 1/3rd of travel, rear shock a bit less. 

• Thumbsup 1

7 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

First of all, cst16 and cst19 are very close, and if anyone could tell the difference it would be a very slightly softer action of the forks. 
I have many times used lighter or heavier oil to change the fork feel, but only for slight changes. Valving changes are a better option for anything more substantial. 
Even though I would suggest sticking with installation instructions, I can’t see why having the cartridges on changed sides would make any difference whatsoever. 
Having the fork damping set at the shop is never going to be accurate, no matter the type or brand. 
They must always be adjusted by riding and how they feel to you for the way you ride. Specially forks, they are much harder to set up by just bouncing the bike compared to the rear shock. 
Front fork sag should always be set up for 1/3rd of travel, rear shock a bit less. 

Well said; Thank you. I read there was someone here that had a harsh ride, and posted a modification of there valving and fluid choice. It may not be for everyone's needs.  

Edited by howie333