Removing Baffle on Akrapovic Titanium

scribble

Yep, had to take the can off, hammer a torx bit in to undo it. Then about 40 mins later got the baffle out. It was well and truly stuck in there! Wacking it from the inside didn't work. We put a ring spanner over the well nut in the baffle, clamped it with a set of mole grips and hit them with a hammer! Seems silly!

• 2 weeks later...
The screw holding the baffle in has a small spot weld holding it tight, this is because Yamaha don't want you using it without the baffle. Naturally I wanted to take it out, because I can. The initial turn of the screw should be sharp enough to snap the tiny spot weld. Then the fun starts. Once the screw is out, you insert a long drift from the other end, onto the disc holding the three pipes together (visible with a torch). Tap the drift until the baffle pops about half way out. After this, put a finger in each of the three holds and wiggle it out. Takes a bit of patience, and the grip of Hercules, but it does come out.

2 seconds after I got the thing out, I realised that I would never run the bike without the baffle, as it is probably quite loud. Before I put it back in, I will dress the baffle on the linisher so that it comes in and out with a little less effort.

I heard my Ti pipe run without the baffle once. It was the single most obnoxious sound on earth. I've worked in AMA paddocks and superbike/super stock highly tuned race bike didn't sound that bad. The carbon race pipe from Akrapovic make less noise. I have no idea why you'd want this pipe with the baffle out unless you just want to be THAT guy.

I heard my Ti pipe run without the baffle once. It was the single most obnoxious sound on earth. I've worked in AMA paddocks and superbike/super stock highly tuned race bike didn't sound that bad. The carbon race pipe from Akrapovic make less noise. I have no idea why you'd want this pipe with the baffle out unless you just want to be THAT guy.
Yep, ran mine for about 30 seconds with no baffle, and that was enough.  It is seriously frikkin loud, and I never want to be THAT guy.

Archived