600 mi maintenance check

illies17

Guest captrob73
I did oil change #2 today @676 miles. ( #1 was @95 miles )  
I was just on here looking for input about the TB synch, seems un-needed but wanted to be sure.

I will change to syn oil at oil change #3 at 2k miles, then normal service intervals there on out.
Glad to see I'm not the only one doing early oil changes. I preformed the first oil/filter change on my FJ at 35 miles. This was after my test ride and ride home from the dealer. The oil that drained out so full of metal it was gray. Today a changed the oil/filer at 364 miles, it was dirty but much better. I'll probably go 500 miles before I change the oil again. I find it hard to understand why Yamaha recommends the first change at 600 miles, it's a well known fact that most break-in wear happens very quickly on a new engine.  
at 35 miles - Yamalube 10w-40 & Yamaha filter
at 364 miles - Valvoline motorcycle 10w-40 & K&N filter
both dino oil

I did oil change #2 today @676 miles. ( #1 was @95 miles )  
I was just on here looking for input about the TB synch, seems un-needed but wanted to be sure.

I will change to syn oil at oil change #3 at 2k miles, then normal service intervals there on out.
Glad to see I'm not the only one doing early oil changes. I preformed the first oil/filter change on my FJ at 35 miles. This was after my test ride and ride home from the dealer. The oil that drained out so full of metal it was gray. Today a changed the oil/filer at 364 miles, it was dirty but much better. I'll probably go 500 miles before I change the oil again. I find it hard to understand why Yamaha recommends the first change at 600 miles, it's a well known fact that most break-in wear happens very quickly on a new engine.  
at 35 miles - Yamalube 10w-40 & Yamaha filter
at 364 miles - Valvoline motorcycle 10w-40 & K&N filter
both dino oil

I changed mine at 600mi. I didn't see any "grey", maybe yours had assembly lube that hadn't got mixed in yet? My oil looked like this:

p4.jpg

I thought it looked pretty good.  ( was in the middle of doing the drain plug mod. ) Just sharing....

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Guest captrob73
The gray could have been assembly lube or metal that after 600 miles the filter was able to clean up. What's the drain plug mod?

• 2 weeks later...
my dealer mechanic and I spent 1 1/2 hours on the 600 mile service.  oil and filter change were easy.  But I think the more important thing was that we checked EVERY fitting.  My mechanic is also a friend (although I believe all bikes get this kind of service in his shop-santa barbara). 

Please Note:  We found the right rear wheel nut TOO TIGHT by alot when we adjusted chain tension.  Found Front brake caliper fittings slightly loose; also found most of the triple clamp bolts a bit loose....

IF your going solo I'd be sure and check EVERYTHING.... and be careful to not go TOO TIGHT on the many places where you've got steel going into aluminum... (I've made this painful mistake on other bikes)

Archived