Fake intake grills on the sides of the bike

Might I suggest a crab claw instead of a lobster?

I am working on covers made of thin Kydex that I will cover with carbon wrap material for the side and nose honeycombed areas. Not the highest priority project I have, I might get them done by Memorial Day weekend.

These would work, they are even the right shape, ovals.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=googly+eyes&view=detailv2&qpvt=googly+eyes&id=F06CDE75FE491BBBA1741CCEA336699963BABD29&selectedIndex=2&ccid=QYcFedyj&simid=608055443189008542&thid=OIP.M41870579dca3f84f3abc81e27420523ao0&ajaxhist=0

Add some whiskers, and it's a "Prawn" from District 9... Great movie if you are into that sort of SciFi. :)

Don't get me wrong, I like how the FJ09 looks, I just think the big Googly Eyes would be very funny indeed.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bruinfj09guy
In the '90s I thought the Vmax was the baddest looking bike around. 20 years later it is relatively unchanged, and I'm over it. 

I suppose the FJR has had only modest improvements and is getting on in years, too, but it wasn't such a novel looking bike in the first place. In 2035 I imagine I'll want something considerably different from the FJ-09.

Edit: Slightly off topic rant. Sorry.

Yamaha likes to do fake intakes. I used to have a 1987 FZR750 years ago. It had two "Fresh Air Intake" holes on the front fairing with scoops arcing through the cockpit.
And then there is the V-Max. 

actually haven't tested it out yet. Wondering if there will be any weird drafts or if it could possibly affect stability. I'll follow up after getting some time on the bike in the next couple of days. 

BTW, they have all different degrees of "tightness of weave" for the mesh. After install I'm thinking smaller holes might have been good so you can't see through as easily. 

Guest bruinfj09guy
Not bad. Where does the air go? Do you feel any drafts?
Put my hand behind the screen at 50MPH and barely felt any wind coming through. So, no noticable inpact. Interesting. The air probably just passes by as it would with the "grill" in place. Nice customization. 

Archived