Future maintenance

rkgg

Week old FJ and just thinking about plug change and throttle body sync I will be doing in the future. Quick peek at engine and it appears that these tasks will be more involved than on my previous FJR and FZ6. They were easy access to (no removing parts, except the tank only needed to be propped up for sync) perform these tasks.  On the FJ09, It looks like the radiator will need to be moved(and panels?) to access the plugs.

Rkgg - Golden has a good suggestion for plug access. But if you are performing the TB sync at the same time (which you should be IMHO) then I would just go from the top as you'll have the tank and air box out anyway.

I just replaced my plugs at 8k and they were clean as a whistle with gaps still in spec. . Could probably run them to 12k without issue.

My sync was off, and I had previously set it at 1k.

Skip

• 2 months later...
Is it really necessary to swap out the plugs so soon? I would think that with today's plugs and hot firing ignitions that one could get an easy 5,000 mi. outta the 1st set. Then I'd go with whatever is the best plug available (iridium?) and stick with 10k - 20k mi. intervals. Am I thinking this all wrong or would it be safe to do so?

Best Wishes,

-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Archived