OEM tyres

D222 oem tyres. Just asked a guy from Dunlop what the deal is with them.
They are Japanese spec roadsmart 2s. They are single compound (euro spec is dual compound) and he said they are softer than euro spec too.
He said the mileage would be worse than a roadsmart 2 but the grip would be slightly better. However he reckoned the grip would drop off quite quickly, probably around a quarter of the way through its life. The euro specs grip would be worse to begin with but would be consistent through its life (therefore better for the majority of its life).

He said the reason for it is the Jap spec tyres are cheaper which is what a bike manufacturer wants. He said it gets the brand out there but they risk putting people off with the sub standard tyres.

• Premium Member
He said the reason for it is the Jap spec tyres are cheaper which is what a bike manufacturer wants. 
No surprise there, seeing how Yamaha cheaped out in so many ways with this bike.   
For instance, bargain basement suspension that I will have to spend $1500 on to make it acceptable.  They do anything they can to get the sticker price down.  The sticker price isn't so great after you consider all the upgrades the bike needs.

I know lots of people ride them stock, but I can't.  I have to upgrade the suspension first, then the seat, then windshield, etc..  So I know going in that the sticker price is just the starting point.  I got mine for quite a bit under sticker price out the door, knowing I had to re-spend that savings on upgrading it to my specs.  The difference is, if it cost $3K more, I would STILL be dissatisfied with the suspension and seat at least, so this way I get it customized the way I want it.

• Premium Member
The above comments are from Triumph Trophy owners but useful nonetheless.

Reading on, getting to p100 of the same magazine where they review the MT09 Tracer they had on long term test for a year (perhaps scan that page eventually) they say

"D222 (perfectly decent), Angel GT (better in wet, best in dry); PR4 (better than D222 in dry, best in wet)"

So, if there is a 20% price differential for similar performance the Pirelli Angel GTs might be the way to go if replacing a pair of tyres. For me, with the front and rear wearing out at different times, I'll probably continue with a Dunlop replacement.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I'll see how long the tyre lasts before I decide whether to replace both or just the rear. I'd prefer to change just to see what other tyres are like.
I just thought it was interesting and many people have discussed the poor tyre life.

Also many standard fitment tyres will be the same. It's not a yamaha special job nor a tracer specific thing. I think the bike is budget in a few areas but the savings are passed to you. If you wanted better suspension etc you could have spent more on a bike.

I wasn't slagging yamaha off for doing that, I was just letting people know why the mileage might not be as good as they thought.

Archived