Anyone felt the need for tank/grip pads on the FJ?

I'm running out of things to order for my '16 that I'm picking up in two weeks, but wondered if any of you thought it necessary to buy a set of tank/grip pads? I had some Techspec Snakeskin pads on my FZ1, and really liked them. They allowed me to take some weight off my bad wrist, and helped me brace myself while braking 2up. With the more upright position on the FJ I'm wondering if they are necessary?

Thanks for any insight,

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

When I squeeze my knees they contact the side plastics and a bit of the painted surface of the tank. Since I wear somewhat abrasive gear used some extra techspec universal material to make a couple pads near the bottom rear sides of the tank. Better grip and surface protection. Don't contact the center of the tank but will probably add some clear vinyl there for surface protection. 
Techspec has some fj specific stuff I saw on Revzilla recently. Tankslapper makes some paint protection but I usually roll my own.

The FJ specific Techspec pads include pieces that cover the side plastics, so that's good. I guess I'll hold off on ordering them until I take delivery and sit on the bike.

Thanks!

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

I had the techspec's on my FZ6 which really helped. But so far on the FJ09 I don't see the need. The seat seems to be less slippery so I stay planted in position. The other thing is the plastic side cover will eventually crack near the rear mount (under the seat), so I wouldn't want to put any grip stickers there as it may make the problem worse. I believe you can re-use some techspec's if you have the plastics replaced, but I have never tried to reuse it.

• Premium Member
I think they would be welcome for twisty's. after 7000 kms this is something I may try this year to see if it is any better.
Also may make it easier on longer rides to help sit back on the seat now and then and actually stay there with a little extra grip holding you back.

My Dainese riding gear grips pretty good as is, except for the grey painted surface, its not horrible by any means, but some extra traction there would be nice.     

I've used TechSpec Snake Skin before. They are good and help quite a bit, though on my past bike I was just too big so my legs didn't take full advantage of them. That said, I have some on order for this bike, because, why the heck not. They're not cheap though.

Archived