Final Farkle Completed? Say it isn't so!

I think we have reached the end of our farkle pile. This morning we finished up the final tidying up on our Pro-Oiler Automatic Chain Oiler installation. Yes, yes, I know using a GPS controlled device to oil our chain is going overboard but we have piled a lot of other tech into the bike and we might as well stay with the theme. For those of you not familiar with the Pro-Oiler it is an electronic oiler that consists of distributed components rather than a single unit. The beauty of this solution is the ability to bury the installation on your bike and the only telltale signs that it exists are the two components you see in the following pictures. You could even hide the head unit in pic 1 if you wanted.

Oiler2_zps6ysx46ha.jpg

Oiler1_zpsgwxxczbh.jpg

I will agree with my son that my mount for the head unit is a tad extreme but all I had laying around in my scrap metal pile that I liked was that nice thick meaty piece of 1/8" stainless plate, but I made it work. I can say without a doubt that the mount doesn't flex at all. My son bets the bolts, brake reservoir and handlebar will fail before the brackets shows any deformation. He may be right.

P4035288_zpssep0bjrr.jpg

As for the rest of the install I rather enjoyed it. Deciding where and how to mount the bits and pieces was a little like fitting a puzzle. In the following pic you can see the main electronic components and the oil bottle the unit uses. The little black box under the luggage rack is the GPS receiver. The box labeled Pro-Oiler CE is the brains of the unit. The power, GPS and controller wires all meet in here with a tiny processor.

P4035285_zpsiuwo5wlt.jpg

Finally the pump itself. The small black object with the tubing going into and out of is the pump. Tucks away nicely along the rail.

P4035286_zpswjehn6ck.jpg

As for the power source I tapped one of the aux leads from behind the dash. The unit pulls a tad over 2 amps so you need to replace the fuse with a 3amp piece. The wiring on that circuit can handle the additional power with a good safety margin.

So, as of today, my farkle pile is no more. If I can concentrate on riding stay away from the interwebs and bike shows the 09 is done getting new toys for awhile...we shall see what next winter brings...

• Premium Member
Was the control box made by Texas Instruments in 1974, only it looks a lot like my first digital watch?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

It's all in the fine adjustments you make to the system. The nozzles basically smear the oil on the rear sprocket. The sprocket in turns distributes into the chain via centrifugal force. It is a lossy system, but without the stickem in the other lubes its an easy cleanup. In the "sweet spot" there is very little fling off. The chain just has a slight film on it. Too little adjust the delivery up, too much, down. The system is actually setup with the chain type, size, wheel size, chain length taken into account in the controller. It only time it runs is when the bike is in motion. The oil is delivered based on distance traveled, not time as a lot of other systems are.

As for gunking up everything, its cleaner than other system. The stickem in other chain specific lubes attracts a substantial amount of junk that needs to be brushed off. Without that stickem the chain actually stays cleaner.

• 2 months later...
UPDATE: We have put 1,200 miles on the bike since the Pro-Oiler install and we have used about 80ml of oil. I think we will easily be able to make 1,600 miles between refills. We have the system dialed in pretty well now and have the chain with a satin look and very little fling off evident on the rear wheel, more like a very light haze. We will follow up in August after we make our Utah run at the end of July.

Archived