Battery issues?

I purchased my FJ-09 in August of 2015. And this past week the battery failed to charge and is registering 3.06 V with a volt meter. I took it up to the Yamaha dealer and they tested the battery and confirmed it's probably got a bad cell or cells. It's the original Yuasa battery. Replacement of same is $183 with tax. Ouch. But I wanted to ride so I forked it over. Dealer told me, after checking with Yamaha regional? the Yamaha warranty on the battery is 30 days from date of the motorcycle purchase. And get this, if you buy a replacement battery the warranty on it is 1 year. So I have that going for me now. Why they don't warrant the battery that comes with the bike when purchased new for 1 year is beyond me.  Anyway, let me know if anyone's had similar issues.  The only mod's I've done to the bike is the ECU flash, which I'd highly recommend. And I installed a rear tail light programmable modulator. These were done in January and the bike's been starting fine up until a couple of days ago.  

• Premium Member
Seems a bit harsh - I'm pretty sure that in the UK a dealer would have replaced the battery under warranty. There again, we get a 2 year, pan-European warranty in the the EU where you can take the bike to any franchised dealer across Europe for warranty repairs.

I hope the dealer checked the charging system as battery failures are rare. Most that die after a few months are usually killed by some other fault such as a faulty regulator.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived