8.5k oil change and shavings

db5304

I had some time yesterday and did a couple long trips so changed my oil which I knew was probably a little early.  I changed it at 650, dealer change at around 3.6k, and beginning of year before riding from my parents at 6.3k.  Didn't realize how early I was as I had forgotten exactly when it was done.  I saw no flakes at the 600 mile or the 6.3k mile changes I did myself and no indication from the dealer at the 3.6k service.  Each time I have used mobile1 4t and a KN-204, the dealer used OEM and yamalube.  I wouldn't be concerned if this was the first service, but since this is after 3 changes, I am slightly concerned.  There was no particles in the oil itself, but when I dumped the filter it looked quite similar to this fz-09 post, although more fine (not such large pieces).  Should I be concerned about this?  I don't ride super hard, although its and FJ, so sure I twist the throttle from a stop at times, but I don't even use A mode.  I also have never hit the rev limiter.  Am I being overly cautious or at this mileage, is this something to be concerned with?

Thanks in advanced, I'm still fairly new so looking for some of the sage experienced advice here.

8.5 - 6.3 = 2.2 K miles on oil before the metal particles showed up in the filter, is that correct? I assume you have been changing filters with every oil change. If the metal is anything larger than a powder, I would be concerned, but what are you going to do about it besides keep an eye on it.  Yamaha probably will not do anything.   I hope you have kept receipts for oil and filter changes.  You could spend money on used oil analysis every 2,000 miles. Do you still have stock cam chain tensioner, that may be most likely source, and something that can fail fairly quickly.

That link doesn't work for me.

Correct, and it was very fine, no flakes per say more like a glitter consistency.  I unfortunately do not have receipts for oil and filter changes but have been changing filter as well and documenting my oil change in my book.  I also have the stock cam chain tensioner but haven't noticed any noise.  

Archived