I've been busy...

...swapping parts on my bike, that is. My FJ09 barely has 500 miles on it so far, but it always seems when I get a new bike that I can't rest until I make it just right. Most of the mods I've done are for comfort and convenience, but a few were admittedly for appearance. Everyone's insight and experience on here was a great help to find the parts that work best for me, so thank you! Here's a list of what I've done and why I've done them. There's not much left on my "wishlist" but I'm sure I'll find a way to add some more.

-FZ6 footpegs
(Amazon): maybe my boots are just slick, but the OEM pegs were very slippery to me. Very nice and cheap upgrade

-FZ 09 OEM bar ends, hand guards removed: Perfect fit with the hand guards and inserts removed. I've never had hand guards on a bike before and I just couldn't get used to them hanging out there. I don't feel they blocked much wind and I don't really need wind blocked from my hands.

-Yamaha OEM saddlebags and bracket: I found a good deal on ebay for a gently used set. Zero defects or scuffs. I like the look and fit of the Yamaha bags and they're indispensable on my daily commute.

-Cee Bailey Yamaha FJ-09 Touring Windshield, 22", dark gray
: This one just didn't work for me I went with the 22" because that's what they recommended for my height (6'0"). If I duck down behind it it was great, but I'm not going to ride in a tuck. (I have it for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested)

-Parabellum tinted Flyscreen
: This was the perfect decision for me, set in the middle height position. Just blocks the wind on my chest and lets clean air hit my helmet, plus in the Florida heat, it lets the right amount of air to my jacket and helmet vents.

-CustomLED BLASTER-X INTEGRATED LED TAIL LIGHT and relay: So bright, and I like the integrated turn signal and flashing brake light

-rotate bar risers to forward position
: This wasn't a drastic move, but I can tell enough of a difference and I like it better. If I could find risers that were about 1" shorter I think it would be perfect.

-Mirror Extenders, 40mm (ebay)
: Shorter than the 2" extensions that I've seen elsewhere on the forums. These are just enough to get the mirrors wide enough that I'm not staring at my shoulders.

-Motodynamic Fender Eliminator
: Very well made and easy to install. I chose this because I was adding saddlebags and have the integrated tail light. The turn signal brackets bolt on, so I just left them off. 

-ASV C5 Sport Clutch and Brake levers
: I was immediately annoyed that the clutch lever wasn't adjustable so I had to replace it. Of course I can't have a mismatched pair, so I did the brake lever, too. Infinite adjustment and great feel. (clutch doesn't touch the switch housing)

-Hightechspeed Proton 500 flush mount turn signals
: I like fact that my signals can be seen from the side and the rear and these are easily 5 times brighter than the stock signals. For those who think the size of these vs the stock signals are a liability or safety hazard, I respectfully disagree. I guarantee I can be seen better now than with the OEM pumpkins. They are BRIGHT!

Here are some photos to show them all off. I did so much reading and research on here, so thanks again for having this place for FJ owners to get together.

20170408_171844.jpg

20170408_171855.jpg

20170408_171915.jpg

20170408_171935.jpg

20170408_171944.jpg

Thanks for the photos of the finished results. Most of these are of the sort that I am most likely to do on mine as well so I'll be saving this as a reference for when I'm ready to dig in. I should hit 600 miles by the end of today and I've been holding off on farkles until I feel like I've got a solid idea of how I get on with it as is. Thanks again for sharing!

Archived