• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Spot lights and aux plugs

whiskydave

Hi chaps, I've  decided to fit my spotlights off my old bike to my Tracer (2017),they draw 0.8 amps each I've been told)

Is this safe to do without a relay,  (They will be switched at the handle bars).I don't know if the Yamaha spots use one. Secondly, where is the spare aux plug, Ive read that it's in the area of the headlights but I've found one underneath the fuel tank at the seat end with a dummy socket on, don't know if this for something else or they've changed the location on the 2017 model. I've done a search on here and there was a reply from an electronics wizard that scared me a little.  :'( . Cheers Dave.  PS Does anyone know where to download a workshop manual for a 2017 model as I can't find one newer than 2016. Cheers again. Dave

Hi chaps, I've  decided to fit my spotlights off my old bike to my Tracer (2017),they draw 0.8 amps each I've been told) 
Is this safe to do without a relay,  (They will be switched at the handle bars).I don't know if the Yamaha spots use one. Secondly, where is the spare aux plug, Ive read that it's in the area of the headlights but I've found one underneath the fuel tank at the seat end with a dummy socket on, don't know if this for something else or they've changed the location on the 2017 model. I've done a search on here and there was a reply from an electronics wizard that scared me a little.  :'( . Cheers Dave.  PS Does anyone know where to download a workshop manual for a 2017 model as I can't find one newer than 2016. Cheers again. Dave
This is my reply posted 23 hours ago to answer the same query as yours.      In this solution, described in detail, the aux plugs to use are buried beneath the instrument panel and accessed by removing screen and other parts beneath - easy enough, just 'fiddly'.   No relay needed.   I put in a switch but the LEDs can be wired-in to come on with the headlight. 
There are plenty of posts on this here - more specifically, go into 'Forums' on the top bar of topics on this page (just under the FJ-09 logo), then 'FJ-09 Garage', and under that the sub-topic 'Tech Tips and How to's'. There's a lengthy and useful Thread there started as recently as May by me, headed 'How to wire-in front LEDs?'. This contains a number of posts and helpful links that will take you through it all."
Neanderthal cave-dwellers knew more about electrons than I, but following the information given I achieved a very satisfactory (and satisfying!) outcome with my recent install.

Luck!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Mr Nuisance back again. As above, looking to fit spotlights. Whilst looking for the spare sockets hidden beneath the plastics above the headlights I found 2 sockets in which fits "shotgun barrel" type fittings, and a 1 socket which is square, similar to what the aux 12v plugs into. Bought off E bay the "shotgun barrel" plug, is this OK to use. Cheers Dave

Archived