Renthal Street Naked Bars and Handlebar Recall Observations

Guest highplainsrider

Guest highplainsrider
I just installed my Renthal Street Naked bars. I really like the change in ergonomics. A little more pullback and a little more droop puts my arms in a much more comfortable riding position. Install was a bit of a PITA but I took my time and double checked all of the mounting positions and fasteners. I was getting numbness in my right hand more frequently and was hoping this might help. Turns out there may have been another issue at play.

I found my right lower handlebar mount was really loose when I took the original bars off. My bike is on the recall list and I still haven't had it done yet. In fact, I made an appointment yesterday. The dealer is backed up so I'm at least a month out on getting the warranty work done. I have been periodically grabbing the bars and shaking them to see if anything was getting loose. Apparently, if one side is tight the bars seem solid. The nut underneath the right mount had backed off about a quarter of an inch. I took the nuts off both sides and used thread locker before reinstalling them. It should be fine until I can get it to the dealer.

If your bike is on the list to be recalled and you haven't had it done yet, I strongly recommend that you put thread locker on the retaining nuts just to be safe. I found the best way to get access was to remove the tank fairings. The left side is a little harder to access than the right. On the left side, I was able to use a 1/4" drive ratchet with an extension to get the 14mm socket under the triple tree.

Any pics of those Renthal bars? BTW I think all the dealer does in the recall fix is put threadlocker on the bolts just like you did.

I'm pretty sure they change out the risers too.... something about the painted mating surfaces.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I'm pretty sure they change out the risers too.... something about the painted mating surfaces.
Yep, it’s a complete riser replacement. From what I recall, it’s actually the studs that can loosen from the riser, and not just the nuts under the bottom of the triple clamp. Which would imply that thread-locking the nuts actually doesn’t address the recall issue.

Just keep an eye on it until the recall replacement parts are installed...

Archived