Motorcycle GPS Tracker / Locator

Like many, I'm "worried" that my new bike could get stolen, and never recovered.  Alarm systems are one thing...although, these days, most people tend to just ignore them, thus they don't provide any "useful" benefit. A GPS tracker/locator, on the other hand, while not preventing a bike from being stolen (if someone REALLY wants to steal a vehicle, no matter how great an alarm system is installed, a thief will figure out a way), it would provide the best possible percentage of recovery.  With my previous bike, the finance company required a GPS tracking/locating device (which they paid for).  Unfortunately, it was also an "always on" design, causing my battery to be drained multiple times (good thing I had a Battery Tender).  Additionally, it was not cell-service connected...so, if the bike was stolen, I'd have to call the finance company, they'd have to remotely activate the transmitter (as mentioned, above, the receiver was always on), and then they'd call local law enforcement, providing them with the tracking information.  Needless to say, as soon as the bike was paid off, I had that piece of garbage removed.

Thankfully, newer units have such features/functions as being cell-connected, a "sleep mode" (only activating the unit when the vehicle is moved), a mobile app for locating the vehicle, etc.  Additionally, several have internal batteries (some are hard-wired AND have internal batteries, so that they can still operate (for a limited time) if the battery dies, thus enabling them to notify you if the device is disconnected from the battery), etc.  The only "down" side to units with cell-connectivity is the monthly/quarterly/annual "cell service" costs, although, while some can be quite expensive ($25/mo, and higher), others are incredibly reasonable ($5/mo, or less).  At the same time, I'd rather have cell-connectivity, than not (although, at the same time, a lower fee is preferable over a higher one).

Inquiring minds (mine, and, I'm certain, countless others) want to know:  What are the most accurate/reliable models?  Which models have cell-connectivity?  Which units contain an internal battery?  If it has an internal battery, does the battery power the unit, or provide back-up/emergency-disconnection power (meaning it's also wired to the bike's battery)?  Also, for those with internal batteries, (approximately) how long do they last?  There are several other questions, which I'm sure others will be able to come up with, but these should be a good starting point.

Personally, I've been researching this, on & off, for the past several months, and, honestly, I'm no closer to making a decision than the day I started.  Heck, I don't even have a "top 10" list.  So, the BIG question is, does anyone out there have personal experience with these, and, if so, which model(s) would you recommend?  Considering how much we pay for our bikes, not to mention how much additional money we pour into them with accessories, I'd guess few people will care about the initial cost...if one costs $200-300, there's a good possibility it's worth it, and, at the other end of the spectrum, if it only 30, it's probably not worth the materials it's made of...as the more important price would be any associated monthly/annual service/cell-connection fees (some models, from what I've read, even limit the number of text messages, with higher monthly fees tied to a higher number of monthly text messages).

So...............what are the best motorcycle GPS trackers/locators available for use in the USA?

GPS_Trackers.jpg

• Premium Member
I have used the Spot Trace units, @$200 a year (CAN) subscription it isn't horrible, and the batteries do last approx 6+ months in the units.
It can also be hard-wired in for power, but then it's not waterproof.

You'd get a text message and an email with GPS coordinates anytime it moves, If the batt is getting low, or if the unit is powered off. And can track it in near real time on google maps. You can also use the Spot app itself to see where it's located and where it's traveled.

It's worked pretty slick for a tracker unit.

I have used the Spot Trace units, @$200 a year (CAN) subscription it isn't horrible, and the batteries do last approx 6+ months in the units. It can also be hard-wired in for power, but then it's not waterproof.

You'd get a text message and an email with GPS coordinates anytime it moves, If the batt is getting low, or if the unit is powered off. And can track it in near real time on google maps. You can also use the Spot app itself to see where it's located and where it's traveled.

It's worked pretty slick for a tracker unit.
It's functionality sounds excellent, although I didn't see you mention anything about it's accuracy, in terms of location accuracy and/or operational (false triggers, false "low battery", etc) accuracy. As for the cost, at $200/yr, that's the second most expensive subscription I've heard of, and princely out of budget for the great majority of people. Unless there's a considerable insurance discount (which fewer & fewer insurance companies offer), anything more than $100-150/yr is probably going to be above what most people can afford. 
I'd think most people would prefer a higher initial cost & lower ($5-15/mo) monthly cost, compared to the other way around. Looking at what you're paying, it reminds me of the "scam" pulled by printer manufacturers, when they started drastically lowering the cost of printers, and removing the USB cable from the packaging, but, at the same time, they considerably increased the prices of the ink cartridges.

• Premium Member
That $200 is Canadian funds remember, so there is a US exchange rate for me to deal with... US funds would be $150yr so, right on par with what you say is reasonable.
Accuracy has been really good, I have no complaints, I'm not in a big city, so if you live next to skyscrapers I'd think it may bounce around a bit more, just like a phone gps will.

It's never given me any false notification.

Archived