Short listing an FJ09

Old Dog

Greetings,

I've joined this forum as the FJ09 is on the short list for my new ride.  So I'm here to learn about this bike and gather intelligence from all your experience.  At the present time the FJ and the Honda Africa Twin are tied for the top spot.  Yeah, I know they are essential two different types of MC,  ADV touring vs Sport touring.  But I don't expect to use the AT for anything more aggressive than a dirt or gravel road., and if I choose the FJ  I'll just stick to the paved roads.  

My former ride was an 02 Aprila ETV1000 Caponord.  It was on older ADV bike and while it was fun bike, it was a repair prone.  With the only dealers over an hours drive from home (in opposite directions) and repair parts harder to get it, became obvious that it was time to move to a new bike.  

So now I'll sit back and listen.  And if I decide on the FJ I'll try to be a regular participant.  Because I've learned from previous experience that these forums are great places to learn, exchange ideas and building friendships over a common passion.

Later,

OG

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to visit your account settings/notification settings so that you can be notified of replies and messages. 

I actually created/founded the Africa Twin forum a year befre the bike was released. I was so excited to get one, until I sat on one. Too big/clunky/heavy to realistically take offroad, too funky/clunky on the road, too much suspension for the road, lots of things I would have to buy to get that bike right. . I was so disappointed that I even sold the forum. ☺️

I think alot of guys buy ADV bikes so they can "look like" they go off road when parking at Starbucks, lol.  I have a proper dirtbike to take off road, with flexible plastics that don't break when I wipe out. 

If you do not care about "looking like" you go offroad, then get the FJ-09/Tracer900. It's an awesome bike, almost perfect stock. Buy it, ride like hell and enjoy it. 

Let us know what you decide and if you get one, keep coming back and be a part of our virtual family! 

Thanks Cruzin.   I get what you mean about us Geezers getting ADV bikes so we can look manly when we ride over to ADV central (better known as Starbucks).   That's not why I want an ADV bike.  There are a number of really great dirt and gravel roads out in my neck of the woods and I"ve ridden them on my old Ape.  But the Ape was very top heavy (620 lbs when fully fueled) and I need something I can manage easier.

Frankly I'm still trying to figure out what I really want.  The ADV bike that my younger self wants or a sport tourer that my more conservative self says is the smart play.  That's why I'm doing my research on these sites.  Because you guys live with these bikes day in and day out and know the good and not so good about each of them.  I know that no bike is perfect (despite what some of the reviews say on YouTube) but I'm trying what works best for me.

3 hours ago, Old Dog said:

Thanks Cruzin.   I get what you mean about us Geezers getting ADV bikes so we can look manly when we ride over to ADV central (better known as Starbucks).   That's not why I want an ADV bike.  There are a number of really great dirt and gravel roads out in my neck of the woods and I"ve ridden them on my old Ape.  But the Ape was very top heavy (620 lbs when fully fueled) and I need something I can manage easier.

Frankly I'm still trying to figure out what I really want.  The ADV bike that my younger self wants or a sport tourer that my more conservative self says is the smart play.  That's why I'm doing my research on these sites.  Because you guys live with these bikes day in and day out and know the good and not so good about each of them.  I know that no bike is perfect (despite what some of the reviews say on YouTube) but I'm trying what works best for me.

Im 53 and the wife wants me to sell my dirtbike. She knows me. I dont like to ride with other people in the dirt, and she also knows that when I come across a single track trail, I just have to follow it to see where it goes. And her ein Idaho, it's often 6000 ft up with sheer cliffs inches away from the tire. 

Archived