Greetings from western Massachusetts.

Just picked up the bike on 4/3. I've been riding for 35 years and have had myriad motorcycles including an FJ1200, FJR1300 and now FJ-09. I got into supermoto and light "adventure-esque" bikes for a while and this seems to amalgamate the big HP Sport Touring FJ's with the lightweight, sit-up/high leverage aspects of those bikes. In short Yamaha has built the bike I didn't realize I really needed. I'm looking forward to solving various luggage, seat, and suspension issues to round this thing out.

• Premium Member
I'm in Arlington, right at the end of Route 2. I've been out towards Williamsburg a few times; it's much nicer riding out there where there aren't so many cars or traffic lights, too bad it takes me so long to get there.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest eatpasta
Just picked up the bike on 4/3. I've been riding for 35 years and have had myriad motorcycles including an FJ1200, FJR1300 and now FJ-09. I got into supermoto and light "adventure-esque" bikes for a while and this seems to amalgamate the big HP Sport Touring FJ's with the lightweight, sit-up/high leverage aspects of those bikes. In short Yamaha has built the bike I didn't realize I really needed. I'm looking forward to solving various luggage, seat, and suspension issues to round this thing out.
I think the majority of the members of this site have had or currently have an FJR.  Not sure what it is about this bike that draws them in but the the FJ certainly is appealing!!     Of course, I am one of them.... so......

• Premium Member
I think the majority of the members of this site have had or currently have an FJR.  Not sure what it is about this bike that draws them in but the the FJ certainly is appealing!!     Of course, I am one of them.... so......

or Super Tenere like me 
I think the Yamaha brand has a strong reputation for reliability but we are all getting on a bit (just look at the photos of the UK riders meet on Easter Monday) and the reduced weight without any real loss in performance has been a big attraction. Factor in the cost and for the price of an FJR or S10 you can have the Tracer/FJ09 plus a few grand spare for a classic project, off roader or track day tool.  
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest eatpasta

or Super Tenere like me 
I think the Yamaha brand has a strong reputation for reliability but we are all getting on a bit (just look at the photos of the UK riders meet on Easter Monday) and the reduced weight without any real loss in performance has been a big attraction. Factor in the cost and for the price of an FJR or S10 you can have the Tracer/FJ09 plus a few grand spare for a classic project, off roader or track day tool.  
Id like to borrow an ST for a day - they seem to be incredibly popular and I would imagine it would be a pretty good replacement for my GS.     What would be really interesting would be ride the ST and the FJ back to back

• Premium Member
Come to Cheltenham UK. The dealer still has my black S10 and a Tracer demo bike.

super10.jpg
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest eatpasta
Come to Cheltenham UK. The dealer still has my black S10 and a Tracer demo bike. 
super10.jpg

If I had the ability to jump on a plane to come visit the UK, I would already HAVE both of these bikes

ricky_zpsqsebqlex.gif

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
super10.jpg

I like to think that I'm pretty-much 'up' to it with most modern-day bikes, but this S10 is new to my eyes! Looks very much like an early inspiration for the Tracer! Was it called other names elsewhere? Or maybe not sold here in Oz...

L of S

• Premium Member
super10.jpg
I like to think that I'm pretty-much 'up' to it with most modern-day bikes, but this S10 is new to my eyes! Looks very much like an early inspiration for the Tracer! Was it called other names elsewhere? Or maybe not sold here in Oz...

L of S
Super Tenere, not in Australia? It would be the ideal country for it.

• Premium Member
That's a 2010 bike, pictured in Jan 2011 just before I bought it. It is known as the Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere worldwide. There was an update in 2014 when they introduced electronic suspension as an option. The bike shares a shaft drive with the FJR1300 and other stuff like ABS and TCS. The Tracer has some technology that is on either or both the FJR or S10 which means the technology is proven and of course cheap as there are no R&D costs. It has always been imported to Oz since launch in 2010 http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/promotions/motorcycle/xt1200ze-super-t-n-r
The bike has not sold in huge numbers anywhere - they got the pricing wrong in the UK, asking £14k when Kawasaki were selling the Versys 1000 for £10k. Now they have reduced the price it is selling better and slowly moving from a cult bike to the mainstream. It has a formidable reputation for reliability, hence my cynicism towards BMW as I owned the bike pictured above for 4 years, doing over 20,000 miles.

Perhaps we should start another thread to talk about the Super Tenere as we have hijacked poor squid's welcome post!

• Premium Member
A mate was in the dealer earlier and has just reported, "your old bike looks quite nice now that someone has washed it."

Guest eatpasta
why does everyone call it an S10? All I think of when people say that is that horrible truck Chevy made

800px-1st-Chevrolet-S10.jpg

Archived