Wheel Bearing Sizes?

bwringer

Greetings!

Is there a list anywhere of the FJ-09's wheel bearing sizes in the standard metric bearing nomenclature, rather than Yamaha hieroglyphics?

I keep a fair assortment of metric bearings "in stock" for the vintage and modern metric bikes I deal with regularly. That way, a tire change doesn't spiral into a week-long wait for parts if I discover a bad bearing. (If you take a little care, dust seals can be re-used indefinitely, and in any case a missing or lightly mangled dust seal won't immobilize the bike or make it unsafe to ride.)

Here's what I came up with in a flurry of cross-referencing for a 2015 FJ-09. Has this been done before? Any corrections?

Front: two 6203 bearings (17x40x12mm)

Rear Right: 6204 (20x47x14)

Rear Left: 6004 (20x42x12)

Sprocket carrier: 6205 (25x52x15)
I had to chase this one across several cross-references, so it's the most iffy.

Edit: looks like the sprocket carrier bearing is a 62/28, 28x58x16mm

I'd feel, you know, just slightly more warm and fuzzy if this list is correct. As it happens, these are all very common sizes in Japanese motorcycles that I already have on hand.

Thanks!

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 years later...

Few years later and no replies... I'm giving this a gentle nudge upwards to see if anyone has verified the above.

I'll confess I've installed... well, a LOT of tires on my FJ-09 and not once did I think to stop and look at and measure the wheel bearings to answer my own dang question.

But I was reviewing my bearing hoard the other day, and started wondering again...

Dang it! I just finished putting new tires on my Tracer about 30 minutes ago. If I had only known............

• Haha 1

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

• 6 months later...
23 hours ago, asnawi said:

Just changed my wheel bearings recently and they were the right sizes except for the sprocket bearing. Sprocket bearing size is 62/28.

Nice! Thanks!

It looks like 62/28 is 28x58x16mm. I'll update my list.

Interestingly, it looks like buying the bearing from my usual OEM Yamaha parts source is only $23.32, and you know it'll be a high quality Japanese brand. I'll add one to my next order of bits from Mama Yama.

From what I've found, name brand bearings in this weirdo oddball size are a lot more expensive than that.

You can find cheapo no-name bearings in this size for $10 or less. However, the sprocket bearing is the most highly stressed, so I've always tried to install higher-quality Euro, Korean, or Japanese brands in this position. The other wheel bearings are far less stressed, so as long as you install them correctly, decent cheapos actually seem to work fine. I've become a fan of KBC bearings (made in Korea, very high quality, very good pricing) from Zoro.com for general wheel bearing use.

Edited by bwringer

I buy OEM, because there are different designations of bearings, e.g., front wheel bearings may have a suffix indication they are designed for side loads..... doesn't mean standard ones won't work, but aftermarket bearings in my neighbourhood aren't any cheaper than OEM for the most part...  check for the stamped numbers on the outer bearing race.