• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Removal of bodywork

quicksilver

I'm at the 1000+ mile point and wish to do a throttle body sync. I don't have any questions about that but about removing all the plastic body covering. I'm taking it slow as to avoid breakage and about to the gas tank. Is anyone aware of one,two,three type procedure with drawings showing correct disassembly ? Hate to break anything as a result of misunderstanding unseen fasteners.
Many thanks

• Premium Member
I'm at the 1000+ mile point and wish to do a throttle body sync. I don't have any questions about that but about removing all the plastic body covering. I'm taking it slow as to avoid breakage and about to the gas tank. Is anyone aware of one,two,three type procedure with drawings showing correct disassembly ? Hate to break anything as a result of misunderstanding unseen fasteners. Many thanks
I removed most of the plastic bodywork the other day -- stripped down to the tank -- looking for a dropped bolt. 
Most of the bolts holding the bodywork on are quick-release locking bolts.  About a full turn counter clockwise and they pop right out, turn them clockwise until they click to lock.

A few are regular bolts -- the two rearmost bolts on the black cowling on top of the tank and IIRC the two black bolts on the side plastics right near the headlights.  It's easy to tell which those are because they won't pop right out when you try to unscrew them :-).

The floating panels (the panels on which the turn signals are attached) are held on only by quick-release bolts and a gentle pull-out/push in rubberized connector hiding in the middle.  They're especially easy to detach.

The mid-panels (ranging from right behind the headlights back around the tank and down underneath the floating panels) are held on by several more quick-release bolts, the aforementioned black bolts, and one each plastic expansion bolt down toward the bottom (which I didn't notice right away, but was obvious because the panel was still stuck there).

The only hidden fastenings I found were a couple of tabs and slots -- one on the side panel that goes into a slot on the tank, and another on the front of the side panel going into the headlight cowling -- and the aforementioned rubberized connector on the floating panels.

The whole thing comes apart in just a couple of minutes, no tricky bits other than making sure the tabs go back into their respective slots; if you get that wrong the plastics won't lie flat like they're supposed to.

Hope that helps.  It's all very easy relative to other bikes I've owned, even the cruisers that had very little plastic, and I applaud Yamaha for that.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

JimF, thanks for the info on pulling the bodywork.  I'm wanting to replace the pumpkin turnsignals with some LED's.  After pulling the floating panel and removing the two screws on the back, I'm left with four push on clips holding the inner panel on that covers the inside of the turnsignal mounting.  I don't see how to remove these without destroying them.  Any suggestions?

Some careful prying and the clips popped off easily for me when I changed my front signals. Not sure if it is the correct procedure but it worked and all the clips were reusable.
That is what i did as well.  Used a small screw driver to get one edge of the lock ring up than pulled off with some pliers.   
They were all bent etc....but easy enough to put back around the plastic pin and flaten with the pliers.

Are those the Quick Fasteners? Page 1-35 in the service manual: push its centre pin with a screw driver, which collapses the mushroom behind it, then pull out. Pretty sure that was already mentioned in another thread on this forum....

Section 4-6 shows the exploded view of the front panels.

It's a pretty good service manual.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Are those the Quick Fasteners? Page 1-35 in the service manual: push its centre pin with a screw driver, which collapses the mushroom behind it, then pull out. Pretty sure that was already mentioned in another thread on this forum.... 
Section 4-6 shows the exploded view of the front panels.

It's a pretty good service manual.

I can't wait to get the service manual. It should be here within the week but I will believe that when it happens ????

These clips are the little ones that push onto posts on the inside of the fairings that hold the inside piece in place. They have little ears that bend and grab onto the plastic post. I was sure I wrecked 2 of them but they pushed right back in place.

• Premium Member
JimF, thanks for the info on pulling the bodywork.  I'm wanting to replace the pumpkin turnsignals with some LED's.  After pulling the floating panel and removing the two screws on the back, I'm left with four push on clips holding the inner panel on that covers the inside of the turnsignal mounting.  I don't see how to remove these without destroying them.  Any suggestions?
Ahh.  I didn't disassemble it that far yet, sorry, but I see a couple of others had tips. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Ahh.  I didn't disassemble it that far yet, sorry, but I see a couple of others had tips. 

Push the centers in, then pop them off. Easy Peasy. I hope those are the push on clips you are referring to.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived