Wheel balancing beads ?

Ferrett847

6 hours ago, miweber929 said:

As someone who owned a Harbor Freight changer for several years and now owns a NoMar changer, I’m going to caution you a bit on this thinking: If you find a place that installs tires reasonably, like $25 or so per wheel which is not hard to do (locally Cycle Gear does if you buy from them, there are several local racers that do it out of their garage no matter who you buy tires from and a local parts store sells tires at or under online costs and mounts and balances for $10 per wheel) you have to change tires a lot to make up that initial cost. And it takes multiple changes to get good, fast, accurate and not scratch your rims, even with the NoMar setup. 

Supplies aren’t cheap either. 

My dad and I are finally getting the hang of it and doing it pretty but between us we have like 9 bikes and he rides enough to make it worth it. He goes through 2 or more sets a season. I do usually 1 of my bikes a season but usually have a shop do it because it’s quicker and easier and takes less of my time to have them do it. 

If you have 1 bike, and change tires once a season or less it’s not really worth it. You said you did it before so you probably buy know this but if others are following along, really run the costs out. 

All valid points. I started changing tires because I like to tinker, and I had space to do it. My first bead breaker was hinged 2×4 mounted to  wall stud. I'm not wealthy but everything isn't about $. Moving to a smaller abode meant selling some bikes. Hand problems meant giving up golf and tire mounting. Then I found a guy who would mount/balance for $25. Then Cycle Gear opened in the area. With 1 bike and hand issues that was the way to go. I still miss the satisfaction I got out of DIY. 

• Thumbsup 2

I probably have on the niken 2 sets of fronts and 3-4 rears a year changed 90% of our local fitters will not fit tyres that they haven't supplied .Due to local pricing many fitters have stopped supplying new tyres and just do part worns.I have found that I. Supply alone I've been saving £40. Per tyre as an average then £25. Per for to a loose wheel and some charge upwards of £35 per wheel ride in/ ride out ,so you can see the savings each time can be upwards of £200.It appears greed has got to the main dealers when it comes to tyre fitting .

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Ferrett847 said:

I probably have on the niken 2 sets of fronts and 3-4 rears a year changed 90% of our local fitters will not fit tyres that they haven't supplied .Due to local pricing many fitters have stopped supplying new tyres and just do part worns.I have found that I. Supply alone I've been saving £40. Per tyre as an average then £25. Per for to a loose wheel and some charge upwards of £35 per wheel ride in/ ride out ,so you can see the savings each time can be upwards of £200.It appears greed has got to the main dealers when it comes to tyre fitting .

As long as the math, time and effort work out for you, it’s all a good thing.