FJ-09 With Knobbies

You certainly can, though I'd NEVER do it on a first gen FJ - the bottom mounted oil drain bolt is too much a liability.  I've taken my Tracer on some well maintained dirt roads when it had the Anlas winter tires on it (they're actually a pretty decent 60/40 tire as well as being good winters) and it's fine, but you don't have ground clearance for anything other than well maintained dirt roads.  

You can convert it - add a good skid plate, crash bars, knobbies, lift the suspension some - but it's never going to be a good off-pavement machine.  The subframe isn't designed for the kinds of abuse you're going to encounter on anything harsher than the above mentioned well maintained dirt roads.  Consider how low the maximum weight limit is on it.  I'd be *VERY* concerned about breaking it if doing anything particularly bumpy. 

Also, ABS: You're going to need to pull the fuse, or you're going to have SEVERELY degraded braking performance in anything loose.  The Tracer's ABS is absolutely not designed to deal with gravel.  

Still, if you're just looking to do light dirt/gravel roads, a set of Mutants, or TKC70 Rocks, or similar 80/20 or 70/30 tires and you'd be fine, with some caution.

Personally?  Getting a T7 as well solves all the problems :)

image.thumb.jpeg.60da6fb53f19802065fa6d3041e00fe0.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1