FJ-09 With Knobbies

Yes very interesting, and in the bay area! Wonder if the previous owner took it on some gravel trails around the area or to maybe Tahoe, Vegas, etc.  To each their own but if I were taking a more road oriented bike off road with tires like that, I would also add some protection like oil pan, engine/body bars, etc.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

My personal opinion is that putting knobby tires on a tracer is a bad idea. If you take that bike on anything more than a dry hard packed trail, you will eventually bottom out the oil pan and quickly lose all your oil. 

The Tracer oil pan is very low to the ground, and the stock suspension is not very good. 

My opinion only, worth everything you paid for it.......

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member

Nice looking bike. I think the TKCs would be quite rumbly on pavement. I ran Shinko 705 on a trip last year, and it handled loose and packed gravel very well. Little less so in the mud... and that's where the TKCs would probably shine. I was surprised just how well the Shinkos did on pavement, although at a low speed roll you could tell these weren't road tires.

7_lab_city.thumb.jpg.7117d729b9d4d0e931a02b96482b9006.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

14 hours ago, Boat said:

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I'd never do it.  That's what Dual Sports are for.  I sold my CRF300L Rally to get this FJ09 and I have to say this bike gives me way more distance and travel options...

Rally 1.jpg

... or, you could keep the Rally and add a Tracer.  Enjoy both worlds!  😉

both.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Premium Member

I keep thinking I'm going to get a Tenere 700, but for some reason, I don't really every do it. Probably due to the fact I don' have any buddies that like to ride-off road, and I think having another rider (or two) would be prudent.

I'll keep riding my Tracer, but you never know when I will find that perfect deal and get an off road motorcycle to go in my garage. 

• Thumbsup 1

Something to be said about having riding buddies ... the first year I had my Rally, I did some exploring, solo, on logging roads and trails in the area.  I came off the bike at one point and landed hard on my ribs.  It was at that point it dawned on me that, even if someone knew where I was, there was no way they were driving a car or pickup in to rescue me.  Picking up the bike and riding home was painful.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Heavy said:

Something to be said about having riding buddies ... the first year I had my Rally, I did some exploring, solo, on logging roads and trails in the area.  I came off the bike at one point and landed hard on my ribs.  It was at that point it dawned on me that, even if someone knew where I was, there was no way they were driving a car or pickup in to rescue me.  Picking up the bike and riding home was painful.

Exact same thing happened to dad.  Scared the crap out of him, he won't ride off slab without me now.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

For off-road run add a front Fenda Extenda and a radiator guard to the list of required equipment on that FJ.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

12 hours ago, knyte said:

Exact same thing happened to dad.  Scared the crap out of him, he won't ride off slab without me now.

I still explore but I make sure I'm someplace that someone could at least get a 4WD truck in to.  😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, vlink12c said:

OP thanks for this thread. I am starting to design a kit for gravel roads, because Arizona. Glad I'm not the only crazy one.

Gravel roads should be no problem with tires like those.  If you just plan to hit gravel roads then maybe look into some adventure type tires like these...

Michelin Anakee Tires

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2023 at 4:05 PM, piotrek said:

Nice looking bike. I think the TKCs would be quite rumbly on pavement. I ran Shinko 705 on a trip last year, and it handled loose and packed gravel very well. Little less so in the mud... and that's where the TKCs would probably shine. I was surprised just how well the Shinkos did on pavement, although at a low speed roll you could tell these weren't road tires.

7_lab_city.thumb.jpg.7117d729b9d4d0e931a02b96482b9006.jpg

I was going to try the shinkos, I don't see the proper size for the back. What did you run? the 170's?

On 1/21/2023 at 5:01 PM, Boat said:

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I'd never do it.  That's what Dual Sports are for.  I sold my CRF300L Rally to get this FJ09 and I have to say this bike gives me way more distance and travel options...

Rally 1.jpg

Keeping both wasn't an option?  Seems to me that the 300 Rally would have taken you to some more offroad places.  Gorgeous bike!  Did you upgrade the forks and rear suspension?    What a beauty.  

• Supporting Member
On 4/21/2023 at 1:04 AM, marcuso said:

I was going to try the shinkos, I don't see the proper size for the back. What did you run? the 170's?

Yes, I run the 170s.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif