revs up in first gear....

alpina

Hello friends:
I have had a problem for a few days now on my tuned Niken from 2018 and 23,000 km....
I have read in other Tracer forums that ISC valve failure is common....but my problem is the opposite.
My idle speed is perfect but when I put it in 1 gear, without starting the traffic, the rpm rises to +-2000....as if the help system that the Niken has to start driving is acting.
Has anyone had this problem?
Edited by alpina

4 minutes ago, NikenLee said:

Cuando está en 1.ª marcha, la velocidad del motor aumenta automáticamente cuando comienza a soltar la palanca del embrague.

5 minutes ago, NikenLee said:

..... as you start to release the clutch lever.

Yes....I know, but the revolutions increase without releasing the clutch lever....just when you engage first gear without starting to move the clutch lever.

The other day I tried keeping the switch in the clutch rest position while moving the lever and there was no difference... I also don't know the function of this switch so I can't say if the fault is there.

I think the switch, along with the side stand, acts as an engine lock??.

Edited by alpina

@alpina the clutch switch does a number of things, for such a small, cheap and easily damaged device it’s important because it tells the ECU if the clutch is disengaged or not. That could mean several things as far as ECU programming goes: allows the bike to try to start if it’s in gear is one (so effectively a kill like the side stand switch. 

Another big thing it does is tell the ECU the bike is ready to move and if in first gear it raises the revs slightly as an “anti-stall” feature. As @NikenLeesaid that’s normal operation for this model so if that switch is not functioning because the lever isn’t hitting it or it’s been pushed out of the way it will affect your idle at all times and not just at a start.

If you’re saying your idle is fine, you pull the clutch and it raises then yeah, it’s working correctly. If it’s always raised, and never drops, then there is something amiss. So let’s start at the beginning if that is the case: when did it start doing this? What happened immediately preceding, was there a tip over, a service, did you change levers, did you lift up the tank and replace the air filter, did you replace tires? What happened, even if it seems insignificant, to possibly cause this change? 

Thank you all for the explanations...I'm trying to summarize.

-I have a good idle speed and the bike runs perfectly.

-The maintenance, as far as I can and know, is done by me and I have never had any problems and the motorcycle has not suffered a blow, fall, etc... I summarize the current fault:

-Idle well in neutral, whether hot or cold.

-I hold the clutch lever and idle ok.

-I engage 1 gear and the rpm rises more than normal (+- 2000/2500 rpm) (clutch lever in the same position as the previous point)

-I release the clutch lever and it circulates without problem.

Edited by alpina
  • Thumbsup 1

I would say it's working correctly then. My bike is put away for the winter so I can't test it out but that seems correct operation. 

Are you saying this is a new thing or you've just never noticed it? 

Edited by miweber929

This fault occurred a couple of weeks ago... logically something is not right because it didn't before and my other Niken don't have that problem either 😅

Edited by alpina

If I'm reading this correctly, it seems OP's rpm increase by simply snicking it into first gear.  With clutch fully pulled.  That isn't normal.  the RPM shouldn't increase until the clutch lever is released to the point the switch makes.  That should be right at the entry to the Friction Zone...

• Thumbsup 1

😃

It seems that I have found the problem...acting as I said before...I have been touching the switch next to the clutch with my finger several times and the rpm returns to its normal rate...so I will see if Cleaning contacts solves the problem in principle... damn electronics.

• Thumbsup 1