Sprocket Size Changes

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I am a FZ-09 owner and I was wondering if any of you folks know the sprocket tooth count on the front and rear of the FJ? The FZ comes with a 16 front and 45 rear which I thought was way too low. I changed to a 17 front and 43 rear. Drastic improvement in the overall ride. You guys are in for a treat. Great motor and superb handling. My main concern is the crunchy gearbox and the uncomfortable seat on the FZ. I'm told, in our forum, that synthetic oil instead of the Yamalube helps with the crunchy shifting.  ENJOY!!
Sorry that I cannot help you with the tooth count as I cannot find that info anywhere, but interested in your comment 'drastic improvement...' following your sprocket changes.  I'm looking to change sprocket(s) sizes to reduce engine rpm at my typical cruising velocity of ~ 100 - 110kph, and would be keen to know if the 'drastic improvement' you refer to would follow.   Currently stock @ 100kph is 4000rpm, I'd like to get it down to ~3500 - 3600rpm as I find that is a very comfortable 'sweet spot' and the engine doesn't seem to be 'straining' - and I'm not constantly looking for the seventh gear! I'll appreciate your input...
Lawrence of Suburbia [em] (‘39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

2015 Matte Grey Tracer – now at 1337 km
[/em]

Although the real sweet spot of this engine is above 6,000 rpm, I wouldn't think lowering rpm at 70mph would be a bad thing if you spend a lot of time touring, as I do. As far as I am concerned, 6th should be much higher than it is. The bike doesn't struggle at all at 35mph in 6th. Just an amazing engine.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived